Remote Power On for Macbook (or Mini)?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sesshi, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I'm trying to figure out a way to power on/off a Mac Mini or a Macbook via (IR) remote control. Possible?

2. dansgil macrumors regular

dansgil

No, this is not possible, however you can put the Mac to sleep (hold down play button) and wake it up with the remote.

Hope this helps.

3. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Huh. You learn something new every day. More or less exactly what I wanted - thanks very much! :D

(and I cannot quite believe that I never discovered this myself, the number of times I've used the remote... :eek: )

4. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I just wish we could get the Apple comps to not us IR and more radio signals, like some remotes or garage doors or something... just personal pref..

5. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

I prefer IR. Means I can integrate Front Row usage into a learning remote.

6. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Oh very true...

The problem for me is IR just never works properly unless directly putting at the IR reciever. I would like to be able to have in my bed and just click putting at the wall, the cieling, or what ever.

7. dansgil macrumors regular

dansgil

I think the reason Apple chose to use IR, as opposed to bluetooth, or some other kind of RF is to save battery life of the remote, and the computer (obviously not a concern for the mini or iMac). I'm glad Apple chose IR.

8. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

The IR signals bounce round my room no problems. I can point the remote anywhere and my MBP will almost always pick up the signals...

9. drummerbooker14 macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

shouldn't you be able to write a UNIX command to do that

10. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

For it to bounce around the room or for it to pick up Radio signals like a garage door?

11. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I think drummerbooker14 meant to power the computer on or off.

12. launter macrumors newbie

Just as an update to this thread (even though its years old) because I was thinking about it for quite a while and couldnt find the information on google. It is possible. I've recently done it. Just so I can save getting up from the couch !!

Basically I downloaded Smart sleep and set the Mac mini to hibernate when being put to sleep. Then I set the Mac to reboot on power loss. I also attached the Mac mini to an infrared plug power down.

I use the harmony remote which first puts the mac to hibernate, then turns off the plug socket. When I want to power back on I just turn the socket on and it reboots.

Power on and off without risk of data loss