Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dazzer21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
For some unknown reason, I can no longer communicate between my Macs at home and at work. From home to work, the connection cannot be established at all. From work to home, I can connect but all I get is a black screen.

At each end is a Mac Mini. Both are set up not to sleep at all and both are constantly on. Both have an identical set of port forwarding setups. They are:

Name Protocol Public Port Private IP Private Port Active
VNC1 <TCP> 22 <IP> 22 √
VNC2 <UDP> 22 <IP> 22 √
VNC3 <UDP> 5900 <IP> 5900 √
VNC4 <UDP> 5800 <IP> 5800 √
VNC5 <TCP> 5800 <IP> 5800 √
VNC6 <TCP> 5900 <IP> 5900 √
FTP <TCP> 21 <IP> 21 √

Software at both ends is JollysFastVNC. Both machines are running Tiger 10.4.11. Any ideas please?

Many thanks

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You need to make sure your router (and possibly cable/dsl modem) has port forwarding turned on.

I've had hit or miss luck using VNC on my mac. I got it going once, but it was dog slow, and since updating my configuration (new dsl modem, new apple time capsule) I've been unable to get it to work again.

I found that an alternative solution that works faster then VNC and avoids messing with the firewall and router settings.

logmein.com, they have a mac client and I can access my Mac from my work computer and also (if you buy the app) your iPhone. LogMeIn has a free version which is what I use, so I don't pay any monthly subscription fees for this access.

dazzer21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
logmein.com, they have a mac client and I can access my Mac from my work computer and also (if you buy the app) your iPhone. LogMeIn has a free version which is what I use, so I don't pay any monthly subscription fees for this access.

Whoa! LogMeIn is the way to go!!! SOOOO much quicker than any other VNC system I've used by far. An absolute cinch to set up - I don't know why I haven't heard about this sooner. I think I'm going to have to get the Pro version as I'm already knocked out by the features on the free version - drag and drop would be fantastic...

Nice call Maflynn...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.