Remote X11 sessions crash?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BartVB, May 2, 2005.

1. BartVB macrumors newbie

Mar 28, 2005
    Since installing Tiger I'm having severe problems with remote X11R6 sessions. Locally everything seems to be functioning normally but remote X11 sessions are one big disaster. I've mainly tried Konqueror en xmms. All of this used to work with my Panther install.

When I start Konqueror on a remote box (Debian Sarge, x86) I get lots and lots of errors and warnings:

X Error: BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter) 5
      Major opcode:  20
      Minor opcode:  0
      Resource id:  0xc2
    X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
      Major opcode:  7
      Resource id:  0x57
    X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
      Major opcode:  7
      Resource id:  0x57
    Xlib:  extension "SHAPE" missing on display "localhost:10.0".
    After that konqueror seems to be working but screen display is _very_ slow, just like scrolling. Also the right mouse button is not working.

Xmms starts without any error messages but as soon as I right click on it I get:

Gdk-ERROR **: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
      serial 3615 error_code 3 request_code 38 minor_code 0
    Gdk-ERROR **: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)
      serial 3616 error_code 10 request_code 102 minor_code 0
    I have had these problems with both the Apple X11 that's supplied with Tiger as with XDarwin through Fink. The remote box runs:

XFree86 Version (Debian 4.3.0.dfsg.1-12.0.1 20050223080930
    Release Date: 15 August 2003
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
    Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.9 i686 [ELF] 
    Build Date: 23 February 2005
    Does anyone have a clue how I can resolve this? It doesn't seem to be a local problem, I know more people with the same issues.
  2. BartVB thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 28, 2005
    Always nice to answer your own questions :)

I had to use:

ssh -Y xserver

instead of

ssh -X xserver

this fixed the problem. Found this on
  3. rinseout macrumors regular

Jan 20, 2004
    After updating to 10.4 I have noticed that I am having trouble with emacs over ssh/(Apple) X11 crashing with the message

X protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) on protocol request 38

It usually happens when i misfire with the mouse on some window element. Anyway I will try your solution to see if that cures things...
  4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    Yeah, I don't totally understand the point of this "trusted X11" stuff. Basically the OpenSSH guys said "well hey, we'll make things more secure by not trusting applications to open X11 windows", and - surprise! - it broke all sorts of things. So you fix it by "ssh -Y" or "ForwardX11Trusted Yes" (in your config), which basically says "run X11 in the manner it used to, before the OpenSSH developers decided to break everything".

I mean, other than applications - which now are not trusted by default - what else opens X11 windows anyway???