Remotely login to terminal, no internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacRumoron, Dec 26, 2006.

1. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

First of all I made a huge mistake and over wrote the IOUSBFamily.kext file on my iMac G5 with one from my MBP.. don't ask how this happened, long story ;)

anyway, none of my USB devices work anymore including my mouse, keyboard, and internet connection (i connect through usb cable)... the only way i know to fix this is to remotely login to the terminal.. but the problem is my iMac isn't online. I tried connecting to the internet through the ethernet port but it isn't working, i think i have to set the peferences which i can't do w/o a keyboard or mouse :(

so i am wondering if i can somehow directly link my iMac to my MacBook Pro through a firewire cable and login the terminal from the MBP? or any other solution?

if not, i'll just erase everything, not a huge problem but i'd prefer not to

2. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Connect the two machines together with a firewire cable and boot your iMac into disk mode by holding T when it boots. After a short while the iMac should appear on your other Mac as a hard drive, where you can then replace the missing file, or perform other maintenance. (be careful with permissions)

See also: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583

There are a number of other steps you can take before you need to reload the machine, let me know how you go with that.

p.s. I have a G5 machine if you need the missing kernel extension

3. MacRumoron thread starter macrumors 6502

yea I need the IOUSBFamily.kext file from the /Systems/Library/Extensions/ folder..

I appreciate it a lot :D

update: i was able to replace the IOUSBFamily.kext file with the firewire cable using files here. It is in .pkg format so I had to use Pacifist to extract the IOUSBFamily.kext file. I dragged it in my iMac HD in the /System/Library/Extensions/ folder and restarted the computer, but still does not work.

Do I need to do something with permissions?