Remotely test code on a device? Is it possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone/iPad Programming' started by chrono1081, Apr 5, 2011.

1. macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hi guys,

I was wondering if its possible to test a program on a device remotely. Let me explain:

I'm working on an App and I need an iPod Touch to test it on eventually. My friend said I can use his, but he lives in Georgia and I live in PA. Is there a way to add his iPod to my developer profile and somehow push the project to his device? If it is possible can anyone send me a link to how to set this up?

2. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can add 100 devices to your account so no problem them. You cannot remotely test it via the internet from your computer. You can send him the source code and have him test it for you. Or send him a built app for testing.

3. macrumors member

Yes it is. Look up Development & adhoc provisioning profiles.

4. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

5. thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thank you all so much for the help! :) That website looks awesome too by the way :)

One bad thing I found out today though, he doesn't have a mac :eek: Anyone know if its possible to do this if the target device is on a Windows machine?

6. macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

It doesn't matter if he only has a windows machine. He will install your ad-hoc build using iTunes.

You should read about ad-hoc distribution and then build one to test on your own device. Once you go through it for your device you'll understand how it works.

7. thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thanks so much!

I wanted to read about it but thanks to some goof on my part I am now completely locked out of the developer site and have to wait for Apple to fix it : / (I tried to unify my iTunes and developer email under one new email and it locked me out completely : /)

8. macrumors 68020

jclardy

Using testflight he would be able to download and run your app without even connecting it to his computer, so long as it has iOS 4.0 or greater.

9. thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Wow thats awesome! I can't wait to try it (once I am able to get back in to the developer portal that is :rolleyes:)

10. macrumors member