remotely unlocking your car

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mr_Brightside_@, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68000

Mr_Brightside_@

ok hi i dunno about the credibility of this, but that's why i'm asking.
    so, say you lock your keys in your car that has remote/keyless entry, right? ok ,so apparently you can call someone else who has the other remote, if there is one, and then get them to hold their remote to their phone while you are near your car and get them to press unlock, and your car should open..
    what i want to know is, is this true, or a scam? cuz its cool if true. ok thankx
    When You Were Young (he doesn't look a thing like Jesus)

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you press the button and hear something it would work, since cellphones really don't transmit anything more than sound.

If you have OnStar, they can open the doors for you during the call (aka, "on the phone.") But they communicate directly over satellite to the vehicle, not over the cellphone.

3. CompUser Guest

I have never heard of that before.

I would highly doubt that it would work.

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

6. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

For some reason I'm tempted to go out in the dark driveway and try this...

7. DMPDX macrumors 6502

On my Audi A6 (which has keyless operation aka keyless start and stop as well as entry, just with the key on your person) it will not lock or even use the buttons on the reciever while i am in the care except for the panic button. And the finger locks below the handle will not lock when the key is inside. I have tested this multiple times to make sure I dont make that bone head movie like I did with my jeep :)

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've had people swear to me that it works. They would try it, and swear it worked. Well, turns out, they were inside the house, their friend was outside. They did it. The car unlocked, but they never thought to realize that their remote was still within range of the car

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm always amazed by what people will believe. To me, this was about as plausible as shining a flashlight into one phone and having that light come out on the phone with which it's on a call. :rolleyes:

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

A friend of mine once told me he could unlock a car by using the IR port on the Palm III. :rolleyes:

11. Mr_Brightside_@ thread starter macrumors 68000

Mr_Brightside_@

that would be AMAZING

...but thank you for sorting this out ;)
    can we climb this mountain / i don't know

12. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

holding it to your head increases distance though

13. Mr_Brightside_@ thread starter macrumors 68000

Mr_Brightside_@

now you made me cry. how's that feel? huh?

14. andy89 macrumors 6502

Works on my tapwave zodiac:rolleyes:
    And not just my car:eek:

15. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I wouldn't be surprised if he could. I used to have this watch. It had a learning function, so I could get ANYTHING that used IR and copy it to my watch. I had every car in the household on my watch. Apparently thieves would use it to steal cars from dealerships, so some manufacturers have stopped using IR.

16. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

haha me too

17. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

18. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

19. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Well our car remote doesn't work over the cell phone, but it does make Subarus and certain VW's go crazy! It's a lot of fun!

20. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

I don't know if it works. But my dad got an e-mail from a friend with the exact same thing. It sounds really cool.

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

But I did way back when, open up a door and start the engine to a green '72 Duster that looked like my Mom's car. It was only when looking towards the rear to back up that I saw a bag that was not there when I parked. :eek:

Too bad it this experience wasn't worth a winning lotto ticket. :)

22. CompUser Guest

I tried it and it did not work! (Jeep Grand Cherokee + Panasonic Cordless House Phone + Razr)

23. Timepass macrumors 65816

to tell you the turth it would not work using the IR port on a palm or your watch that you used ot have. Reason being is the keyless entry on cars dont use IR to transmissit the signal, it using Radio waves and neither the palm nor you watch will transmit or learn those.

As for the OP now what you read about is a myth and I will laugh at any one who try because the phone only transmited sound and the keyfam is again radio waves so it not going to work.

Also how do you lock you keys in your car with keyless entry? The only way I can think of doing it is if you lock you keys in your trunk but locking them in the car itself is just hard. Most people with keyless entry lock there car with there keys and that requires them being in the owners hand outside the car with the doors all closed. (or at least that is the smart way to do it makes sure you keys are not in your car if you lock it only with the keyless entry.

24. iGav macrumors G3

Not that it's relevant... but if you have a pre-deadlock car, you can usually get into it with nothing other than a jewellers screwdriver and a tennis ball with a hole in it... now obviously the likely hood of you actually having a jewellers screwdriver and a tennis ball with a hole in it on your person if you've lost or forgotten your keys is of course slim, but from experience it works on everything from an Audi through to a Volvo.

25. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Well assuming the car manufacturer was a raving idiot, the remote could operate on a really really high or low sound frequency that humans can't hear.

Of course, anyone who did that should also be sued.