Removal of unneeded files: languages/print drivers

Discussion in 'macOS' started by indigoflowAS, May 27, 2006.

1. indigoflowAS macrumors 6502

Oct 31, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I understand that OSX installs a bunch of printer drivers and languages that most of us will never use. I also hear that they take up a good bit of space. What can be done to remove them in a safe and efficient manner?
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    For the languages, use something like Monolingual.

I don't think there are any utilities for printer can just go in and delete most of them manually. Keep ones for printers you'll be using, but you can always download drivers from the manufacturer's web site if you ever need any drivers.
  3. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Apr 22, 2005
    Be careful with it though, somehow it had messed up my Acrobat Professional and I had to reinstall it. Never the less, it did remove about 1.9GB of unneeded files :D
  4. insomniac321123 macrumors 6502

Jan 23, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Monolinguel works great. I used it when I got my mbp, and it freed up about 3 gigs. I would highly recomend it.
  5. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

Mar 23, 2003
    New England
    If it is not too much trouble, you could perform a custom reinstall of the OS. When doing so, deselect the printer drivers and languages.
  6. frankblundt macrumors 65816

Sep 19, 2005
    South of the border
    For older versions of X than 10.3.9 (if that's an issue), there's also Delocaliser, which although it says hasn't been tested even in Panther, did just fine on both it and Tiger for me.