Remove Acrobat Menu Bar in Word 04?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jaw04005, Dec 8, 2004.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I'm trying to remove the Acrobat application bar that is shown after the formatting menu in Word (see attached). I have tried going to Tools>Customize Toolbars and deselecting the Adobe Acrobat PDFMaker bar. I have also tried deleting the bar all together, however after closing and reopening word---the menu reappears. I can't git rid of it! Anyone know how to remove it for good?!?!

Thanks

Josh

Attached Files:

2. Logik macrumors 6502a

um... clicking the big circlely red dot to the left of the menu doesn't remove it ? that's how i've always done it and it worked fine for me

3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

That does it but every time you close word and re-open it it is there again. I think s/he wants it so that I doen't launch every time with word. I don't have a solution for you and I would like one too if anyone else can help that would be great.

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Go to the Microsoft Office 2004 folder in Applications and delete PDFMakerLib, that should do it.

5. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

They just had an article in MacAddict about getting rid of this stupid bar. I think everyone pretty much agrees that it's a complete annoyance. Almost as bad as a paperclip telling you that "It looks like you're writing a letter!"

Deleting the files as the previous poster suggested will do the trick.

6. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

Just also be aware that the next time you fire up Adobe Acrobat, it is going to try to "repair" the annoying little buttons by putting those files you erased back into the folder. Deny it that pleasure by saying no!

I found those buttons really annoying too, but I wouldn't have minded them so much if they went to the side of one of the other MS Office menu bars. But since they insist on always coming back underneath the other menus, they took up valuable vertical screen real estate!

Those buttons were almost as bothersome as an HP printer install that put this annoying and rather useless icon down in my dock. No matter how many times you deleted it, it would still reappear on the next boot-up. Turns out they had included a sneaky little script in some HP folder that would re-insert the icon on the dock if you removed it.

I HATE it when companies
    1.) decide to put something on my screen that I didn't ask for or approve, and
    b.) do shady sneaky little tricks to try to ensure I can't keep it off my screen

7. Eric_Z macrumors regular

Isn't it allso possible to stop it from asking this alltogether by changing an argument in one of the Acrobat files from something like InstallWordAcroBar=YES to InstallWordAcroBar=NO ?

Seem to remember reading about that somewhere on the web a few days back.

8. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I just did a search for PDFmaker and found 3 files that are realted to Excel, PowerPoint, and Word. I trashed those. Restarted Excel, no pop up, no acrobat toobar. It never tried to reinstall the files. I'm using Office X (not 2004). Seems like the easiest fix.

9. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Just tick the 'Do Not Show Repair Set Up Again'' (or something along those lines) check box when you start Adobe Acrobat.

It will try to reinstall the files next time you start up Adobe Acrobat, not Excel or Word. I never use Acrobat anyway, I use Preview for all my PDF needs so it's no biggie for me but it is very sneaky/annoying of Adobe to do this.

10. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

My thoughts exactly! On a 1152x768 PowerBook display, those stupid buttons took up a lot of space!! :mad: