Remove game center?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by CaptBill, Sep 9, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

I'm probably the only Mac user in this part of the Milky Way who will ask this, but,
    I want to remove Game Center from MY 3G-S. Any way to do this? (underscores intentional).

2. macrumors 68030

Apple thinks everyone wants to play games on their phone. Unfortunately like all their native apps, you can't delete them. Best you can do it put them in a folder out of the way.

3. macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

There may be a setting in settings/general/restrictions that may enable you to hide the app like you can with YouTube and some others.

4. macrumors 68030

I'm not seeing a way to hide the game center app there.

5. macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

As I said above:

settings/general/restrictions

6. macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

if your iPhone is jailbroken, you can download an app called Poof! that will allow you to hide apps

7. macrumors 68030

And as I said, I am not seeing it in there.

8. macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

It's there on all three of my phones running 4.0. Not sure what to tell you.

9. macrumors 68030

There is nothing in that area of settings to hide the game center app. Other apps yes, but not for game center.

10. macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I never said there was. I told the OP to check in case there was the option to hide it.

11. macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

That's correct. The only thing I see on 4.1 now is the option to enable or disable multiplayer games. You can't hide the app like you can with YouTube and Safari and a few others.

12. macrumors 65816

parish

No you're not - I want to get rid too.

My 3GS is running 4.1 and the only thing I find in Restrictions related to Game Center is the ability to disable multi-player games, which doesn't hide the icon. GC doesn't appear in the Allow list - does it on yours?

13. macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

It is not an option. I simply said to check and see if it was since I wD not running 4.1. I have since upgraded one of my phones just to check this out. You can't hide game center like you can YouTube.

14. macrumors 68030

I initially said I'm not seeing a way to hide the game center app there (meaning in settings). Apparently my replies confused you.

15. macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Yes, I did get confused. I apologize. :)

16. macrumors newbie

Remove Game Center

Yes you can. You can de-activate Game Center by doing the following:
    Open Settings > General > Restrictions (you need password)
    Than scroll down list to <Game Center> > Multigamer settings and switch off...
    As simple as that. I also found this very annoying the more because this Game Center does not at all look like it's coming from Apple. That's why at first I thought my iPod was hacked after I downloaded some App. and Game Center installed itself without even asking... Not much Apple like!

17. macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

That doesn't remove Game Center. I tried that a few days ago.

Currently, there is no way to remove it at all.

18. macrumors newbie

Remove Game center

If your phone is jailbroken, you can use iFile to navigate to /Application folder and delete the Gamecenter.app. Reboot , done!!!!

19. macrumors newbie

Removing unwanted app(s) from iphone

Hi guys, It's possible. ios is a mac based operating system. The process of removing app(s) is same.

Use "iFunbox"(www.i-funbox.com) client and go to Applications(System) in left pane, then delete the "Game Center~iphone.app". Reboot your device.

DO NOT DELETE ANY OTHER APP(S), because it may cause harm to the operating system.

20. macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

I'm not so sure that's a good idea, who knows what depends on the app to run in the iOS...

The safer approach is suggested above: just hide the icon with SBSettings. That way if some app needs it to run, you won't be screwed.

21. macrumors 68000

milani

Hopefully hidden folders is an option in iOS 4.2. That, or Apple allows users to turn off certain apps (like how you can enable/disable the Nike+iPod app). Until then, you're only option is to put it in a folder and or put it as far back in your home screen pages as possible.

22. macrumors newbie

Poof

Excellent, game centre, stocks, nike all gone

23. macrumors newbie

managed to remove stocks and game center app through jailbreak and ssh. :D