Remove SMTP Server from Mail.app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by alset, Sep 1, 2003.

1. alset macrumors 65816

alset

You know, as much use as I get out of Mail.app (personally, I love it - no matter what some of my friends say), I can't figure out how to remove old SMTP settings after deleting an account. I can add servers, I can modify existing servers, but I can't seem to delete servers to save my life! I have tried Mail.app Help files and Apple Knowledge Base, but no luck. Can anyone give me a hand, please?

Thanks in advance!
    Dan

edit - oops; i meant to put this in the "help" section - my bad

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

there's no way i know of through Mail.app. but the info is in this file which you can edit by hand:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist

3. alset thread starter macrumors 65816

alset

Seems like a major goof to leave that out of the app, but so it is. Thanks much zimv20!

Dan

4. beg_ne macrumors 6502

Look in `/Library/Scripts/Mail Scripts/

You should see a "Manage SMTP Servers" script file, run that and you can clean up your SMTP servers.

5. bobindashadows macrumors 6502

Yeah, Apple dropped the ball in this version, they better fix it in the next one.

6. flashysite macrumors newbie

Mac mail

Which version are you running? Your post was 2002, so probably Tiger? Now 11 years later, running mavericks, apple still hasn't fix this problem. I think it's trying to catch up with outlook express.

7. Bear macrumors G3

Actually this problem was fixed years ago. in Mail->Preferences select Accounts and then the Account Information tab.

In the outgoing Mail Server popup, you can select "Edit SMTP Server List..." - see attachment: (Note that it doesn't matter what account you have selected, you'll see your full smtp server list.)

Attached Files: