Remove your credit card information from iTunes.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by That-Is-Bull, Mar 8, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

Just saw this thread on the SomethingAwful forums and thought I'd post it here.

And here's an article on About.com about it.

2. macrumors P6

MacDawg

Color me skeptical, but I don't respond well to scare tactics

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

Read the comments/replies, other people are having the problem too. I doubt this is just slander from Microsoft.

4. macrumors demi-god

Dispute the charge with your credit card company. They'll do the legwork required to investigate it properly, and if it's fraud, they'll reverse the charges and issue you a new card. They can't simply "deny responsibility/ownership" without doing an investigation and proving if the charges are valid or fraudulent.

The fact the charge says "POS DEBIT" makes it look like the credit card was stolen, and then used at a point-of-sale (i.e. a cash register) to purchase an iTunes gift card (which can easily be resold for cash). There are thousands of stores that sell iTunes gift cards.

To correlate that because a stolen card was used to buy an iTunes Gift Card, that the thief obtained the card number by hacking where Apple keeps its customers' iTunes credit card numbers on file, seems to be a bit of a stretch to me.

Update: If you read the Consumerist article on this subject, it looks pretty clear that thieves are obtaining credit card numbers from other sources, and then using them to buy iTunes gift certificates. Removing your credit card info from iTunes will *not* protect you from this type of crime.

http://consumerist.com/2009/05/watc...hether-you-have-an-itunes-account-or-not.html