Removed Post

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by insanelygreat, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. insanelygreat macrumors newbie

Hello,

I made a post in the "Intel PowerMacs? Apple Phone? MacBooks Ship Date?" thread recently that was deleted. A post between #46 and #47 to be exact. No one made any mention as to why they removed it and nor did anyone ask me to modify my post if there was a problem. In short: what happened?

- IG

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

What did the post in question say?

If it's useless or offensive it gets deleted.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

That particular post referenced a mistake made in the original post regarding the date of shipment. The mistake was subsequently fixed, so your post didn't actually make any sense anymore.

arn

5. insanelygreat thread starter macrumors newbie

I realized that the error would be corrected so I made a point of adding a quote of the original before my post was removed. I should also note that there continue to be other posts commenting on the mistake that still have not been deleted. Perhaps an "edit note" should be appended to the article when a mistake is corrected so that posts such as mine don't need to be deleted. Obviously this wouldn't be needed for the correction of small typos that don't really change the content of article, like that of the last graf of the "WINE for Intel Macs?" article, but would make sense for some of the bigger typos as in the one in question. I believe this is Slashdot's policy on corrections and updates, and is similar to the correction/retraction guidlines most major print mediums follow. Also, I would have been more than happy to edit my post to make note of the error's correction. Regardless, it was somewhat upsetting to find that my post had been removed without warning. If you could at least send me a private message if this happens in the future, preferably asking me to edit my post rather than simply telling me it was deleted, I would be very appreciative. In either case it would be remarkably better than left wondering where it went. It's a simple thing, but it's an act of courtesy that I'm confident just about anyone in this situation would greatly appreciate.

Thank you!

- IG, Faithful MacRumors Reader Since 2000

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I tell you now, there is no way on this earth that we are going to start PMing people when their posts are deleted. Not. Gonna. Happen.

If something is deleted it is deleted for a reason, as it was in this case. We don't go round doing it for the fun of it. If a post vanishes no need to get "upset" about it, just move along...:rolleyes:

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

there is a vB modification that was around for 3.0 that automatically PMs a member if their post is deleted, and the reason why (if any given)

Wouldn't be that hard to convert to 3.5 if it already hasn't been.

I had it on my site because i got a lot of people posting, IMing, PMing and emailing me about posts being deleted so i implemented that.

However with how many posts are deleted on this site it *may* increase the server strain

8. tveric macrumors 6502

perhaps, then, less posts should be deleted.

seems like if you're going to err to one side or another when dealing with censorship decisions, it's probably best to err on the side of open discussion, not censorship. After all, if this guy's post had remained, what's the harm? If you want to create less work and less strain, the solution is painfully obvious.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, it is: don't post when it's not relevant and only post that certain detail in one place.

10. tveric macrumors 6502

It hardly needs to be pointed out that those are incredibly subjective measures.

11. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Main site news article comments are the most strictly moderated portion of the site. The basic rule of thumb is: stay on topic.

If someone posts about their summer vacation in a thread about New PowerBooks, I have no twinge of regret in deleting those posts. Posting about typos is almost similarly off-topic, and really have no purpose in the thread once the typo is corrected.

Any on-topic posts are not deleted.

Some of the threads generate hundreds of responses, increased noise to signal ratio is the "harm" in leaving off-topic posts in the thread. Inevitably, people respond to the off-topic posts and the conversation spirals off topic.

It's not about censorship, it's about keeping the main discussion threads useful and relevant. People are welcome to post about their summer vacation or anything else (legal) in the rest of the forum.

arn

12. tveric macrumors 6502

You may follow that rule, arn; however, there are a few moderators here who definitely flex their supposed powers in ways that most certainly do not follow it.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No more than it needs to be pointed out that the moderators of this forum do an outstanding job of running one of the nicest forums, on any topic, anywhere on the internet. ;)

14. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

If you think your on-topic posts are being deleted, email me (webmaster@macrumors.com). we keep a record of deleted posts.

arn

15. tveric macrumors 6502

Not only is that hyperbole, it's patently and demonstrably false.

http://slashdot.org/

then again, it just occurred to me, maybe you're campaigning for a moderator job.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Heh, within a week, I see you having a fan club here. ;)

I knew the starters of Slashdot in high school... we used to go to forums on BBS'es where you had to call with a phone modem together. And had other escapades too... :) I like them, although I'm not in touch with them anymore.

But I am very happy at MR. Whether you and your attitude decide to stay or not. ;)

17. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

ok... I think we're getting off topic here now. :)

arn

18. tveric macrumors 6502

My attitude? Just because I disagree with you, I have an attitude?

As for "deciding to stay or not", I don't limit myself to "staying" at one board - completely aside from the fact that I've been reading and posting here for years. One might make the argument that your smarmy self-righteous tone is certainly more of an "attitude" than you try to pin on me. But again, that's highly subjective.

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've always considered Slashdot.org an example of what happens when everything goes wrong. :p

I'll certainly admit to making mistakes here, but deleting multiple posts on the same exact subject isn't one of them. :D

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Is it me, or are people a little more sensitive about Freedom of Speech and Censorship lately? Don't want to throw this into a political thread, but since it's not the government deleting stuff, just mods on a privately owned site, maybe I'm more willing to let stuff go. Don't take this stuff so seriously folk, it's all in good fun. If something happens that you don't like at this site, PM a mod, they're usually pretty good at getting back to you to explain stuff. ;)

As long as they don't start banning people for looking at them funny, I think we'll be ok.

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

What do you mean by that? j/k :D

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

My first two post deletions also came with PMs explaining why. The third didn't, but the reason for that was obvious (The post I quoted was deleted, so mine was too).

23. insanelygreat thread starter macrumors newbie

I really don't have a problem with the moderator's desire to keep things on topic. By all means it's a valid concern and I respect that. I don't think policy is the issue, but rather the way it has been executed.

Simply deleting the posts remedies the situation of the moment but does nothing for the long term. Had I not asked why my post was deleted I may very well have made the mistake again and never been the wiser. Had I been warned or asked to change my post not only would the problems with it be brought to light, I would not make the same mistake again.

From the comments made in this thread and others I've seen in passing on the MacRumors boards, there is a very valid problem here. There seems to be a lot of tension revolving around this issue. It seems to me that there is probably a simple solution somewhere out there that would make everyone happy, or at least not upset them in the process. For example the above suggestion that a system where the poster is notified that their post has been deleted with a field to explain why sounds phenominal. No matter how it is done, it would pose a significant benefit to both poster and moderator to find an amicable solution.

- IG

24. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I haven't consciously paid enough attention to my posts to see if and which ones have been deleted. That said, if I felt enough personal interest invested in a post that I discovered had been deleted... I'd do as others have suggested:

PM a mod/'god' and see what happened and why.

Keeps things neat and polite w/out dragging the rest of the forum into the fray.

25. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's not that we like going around deleting posts--it takes time to do it and I think every moderator would rather have fun. I know I would.

Most of the people who complain the worst about the forum moderation are the people who don't follow the rules. There are times when we make mistakes but most people don't find issue with it or we moderators would be constantly bombarded with hate mail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.