Removing a non-third-party item from System Preferences

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tikibangout, Aug 15, 2005.

1. tikibangout macrumors regular

tikibangout

Hi, I'm running 10.4, and I installed OS 9.2 from a disk that came with 10.4. So I installed it, and finally figured out how to remove it. So I did that, but still there is a Classic 9 item in System Preferences. Its under the System subheading in SP. And I can't find out how to remove it because its non-third-party. Anyone know how to delete it? Thanks.

2. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

I really, REALLY, suggest not doing this. The built-in preference panes are meant to be part of the system, and deleting them may have unexpected and unwanted results.

That said, trash

/System/Library/PreferencePanes/Classic.prefpane

Use at your own risk.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can of course not trash it but move it somewhere else so as you can always put it back later. You could even compress it in the same directory then remove the original.

4. yellow5 macrumors regular

I've been wondering how to do this ever since I installed Adobe CS2 and that lame Adobe Bridge showed up in my pref pane.

Thanks!

5. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Well, that one will probably be in

~/Library/PreferencePanes/

where ~ is your user folder.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

By default, the Classic pane is hidden, and only appears once you install OS 9. However, when you remove OS 9, the Classic pane doesn't disappear. I think the original poster would like to know how to re-hide it, rather than get rid of it completely.