Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattOKC

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
In windows, I have to click a taskbar icon and cancel the function of a USB device before it can be safely removed.

New to Mac OS, and wondered if there is a similar process or whether a flash drive/etc. can just be unplugged.

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
On the desktop, drag it to the trash. Or highlight it and press CMD + E. Or in a Finder window press the little circle next to its name in the sidebar.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
If it's mounted as a drive you should unmount it first, and give it a few seconds before you unplug it. If it's not a mounted device then you can just unplug it

bsheridan

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
Just drag the usb icon on your desktop to the trashcan. The trashcan will then turn to an eject button, drop the usb icon on this.

b.

RemarkabLee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Depends on what type of device. If its a USB pen drive for example, use Finder and eject the drive, just like a normal 'drive'. Same deal with an iPod/iPhone - it should be ejected, but use iTunes for an iPod/iPhone.

For a peripheral (scanner, keyboard) just unplug it.

In short, if the device contains 'files/music/photos/video' it should be ejected.

Free11

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
Safe Removing of USB modems on Mac?

How do you safely remove internet sticks on a Mac?¨
I don´t see any icons to throw in the trash! What to do?

I have Huawei E169 internet stick and my system is OSX 10.4.6.

I used to have a Nokia CS-15 USB internet stick and I removed it in various ways, but it always gave me error messages about unsafe removal of the USB-device.

Now I haven´t removed this device at all (and not even closed my computer at all) cause I don´t find any safe way to remove the device!

Please Help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.