Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
I'm sure there used to be a way to remove the Audio from a Video in iMovie 06, but in this 08 version I can't seem to find it.

I'd rather not use ffmpeg if I can get away with it, anyone know any other ways to do it if not in iMovie?

Cheers.

nyycavo24

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2007
I typically open the clip up in MPEG Streamclip (google it).

After you open the file, you can either export the whole clip, or a tiny piece of it into quicktime or any other format and when selecting the options for the export, you can remove the audio entirely.

Works like a charm for me, and as an added bonus of course, it shrinks the size of the file.

Hope this helps!

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
1. Select the movie you've created.

2. Click the audio properties button (speaker icon).

3. Drop the volume slider to "0".

blaxx

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2009
Dropping the audio level to zero in the HUD doesn't work if you publish to YouTube. The YT video is published with the audio.

redmcgee

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2010
Elaboration

Import the video and turn the volume all the way down

What wasn't mentioned:

Once that's done, export the video to your desktop. Then, re import (this version will not have sound) to add a new track or maintain track-less video.

done!

ggm1960

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2008
I'm sure there used to be a way to remove the Audio from a Video in iMovie 06, but in this 08 version I can't seem to find it.

I'd rather not use ffmpeg if I can get away with it, anyone know any other ways to do it if not in iMovie?

Cheers.

I found a button in the center cluster (2nd from right). Mouse hover indicates "Adjust Audio - A". Chose a video clip, click the button and lower the top slider to 0.

r-o-n-n-i-e

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2010

Cheers.

If you click the movie in de Project section then go to edit menu and click detach audio. The audio can be edited and removed now.
Hope thats what you needed.

CallsignBaron

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2007
NC USA
If you click the movie in de Project section then go to edit menu and click detach audio. The audio can be edited and removed now.
Hope thats what you needed.

I know this is reviving an old thread, but, thanks for this r-o-n-n-i-e. Exactly what I needed, worked like a charm for me in iMovie '09.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.