Removing Classic Programs.

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Griffindor73, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Griffindor73 macrumors member

Does anyone know what effect removing Classic programs such as iTunes, MS Office etc might have- are they linked between the two OS's in anyway. My iMac only has a 10gig hard drive and it beginning to look a little bit crowded in there. As I use X nearly all the time now I was thinking about a bit of a clear out.

2. stromie952 macrumors regular

There is no effect on OS X is you remove a Classic program such as iTunes or MS Office.

The only time there would be a problem if it was a Carbon program and you used it in OS X and OS 9.

Otherwise, there should be no problems.

3. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

only installers

The only problem that I have had with removing classic apps and OS 9 compleetly is that some carbon apps like Adobe Acrobat want to be installed in OS9 and X. But... all you get is an error that says you dont get any classic support... so.. no big deal.

-evildead

4. Griffindor73 thread starter macrumors member

Thats cool, thanks. I don't want to get rid of 9 completely, just wanted to free some space, especially with Jaguar coming soon.

5. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

I have both,

I have one system with both OS9 and X and another system running pure X. I have removed most of my classic apps from my dual boot system with little to no incident. You may have to point some files to the OSX version of an app if they were once connected to the classic version. Things like .doc, .mp3, .jpg... you get the idea. If you rip out Acrobat reader classic your .dpf files might complain about it when you try to open it. So.... you just have to point them in the right direction the first time you do it.

I know what you mean when you say you need to make room. My pure OS X system is on a Rev-a iMac with a 4GB drive! It has 192MB RAM and a 466G3 that I put in so it runs ok but... man... 4GB is just too small! OS X is 1.5GB with out the developer stuff!

-evildead

6. Griffindor73 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah. 10 gigs os okay- when I first got my Purple Dv about 2 & half years ago it seemed like loads of space, my peecee had only 3.2. (It was also a pile of crap)
    I could ditch a load of mp3's, but I like having the music on there and I use iTunes loads, so I wanted to get rid of the unnessesaries.

7. rootuser macrumors newbie

There's no effect in Mac OS X. If you want to keep your Mac OS 9 programs, consider investing in an external hard drive.