Removing extraneous "junk" files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GanChan, Jun 5, 2006.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502

I would like to remove all the flashy animated demos, etc, that came pre-installed on my iBook, in the hopes of reclaiming some HD real estate. I know I could do a custom reinstall of the OS, but if I just could find those files and zap them, that would be more convenient for me.

So, what am I looking for in my search and destroy mission? :D

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

What demos?

I know Apps you can just trash them - you can remove the language files to free up a coupe of gigs.

3. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess what i really need is to track down all the little extra bits of junk that land on my hard drive in addition to the apps themselves -- you know, the "invisible" files like prefs tutorials, etc.

Anyone tried AppZapper? It looks promising.

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

well unless you've opened the apps there should not be any extra files.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I think you're wasting your time if you're worried about a 4KB preference file. Just imagine how many you'd have to have to get 1MB.

Seriously, just use Monolingual to trash the language localizations that you don't need, that will save you a gig or 2. If you're never going to use iMovie, iDVD, or GarageBand, then you can save yourself a lot of disk space by trashing the tutorials and sample stuff in (the appropriate spot in) /Library/Application Support/. Otherwise, there's not too many apps that leap to mind that have tutorials and oversized extraneous junk.

I would just enjoy and worry about disk space when you've filled 80% of it. Then you should start worrying.

And of course, always back up.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

You know that there are no demos on Mac OS right? Those are all fully functioning applications.
    Not to mention I'm pretty sure this will end badly...

7. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

You know that this thread is over 6 years old, right? :p

8. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Looks like dylanedward is just trolling around to try to sell his product - didn't pay attention to how old the thread was.