removing folding at home

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by macstudent, Oct 10, 2003.

1. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

Hi,

I installed F@H in the terminal from this link http://calnet.sdsu.edu/mc68k/
    I realized that I do not want this running all the time on my computer. How do I remove this?

thanks

2. macstudent thread starter macrumors 6502

macstudent

I have tried trashing the folding @home folder, but that didn't stop it.

any help out there?

3. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Have you tried perhaps deleting the f@h folder in your library? go to ~/home/library, and trash the folding folder in there. That might do the trick.

4. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

theres a command called rid that will get rid of everyting associated with folding.

if u want it on ur machine, but not to start everytime, u can specify on install when it prompts u so it won't install a crontab entry.

5. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yes, if you don't want to run it all the time you can type

'Start' (To load it)
    'Stop' (To stop it)

So you can turn it on at specific times.

Also Folding only uses your Idle CPU (CPU not being used) so unless your gaming why your final cut pro movie is working its magic there is no reason to stop it.

6. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

I notice it slows down compile time in project builder ALOT for me, and photoshop gets a little slower, but not that much.

7. ArchiStudentG5 macrumors newbie

I also tried this same thing. When running "setup_script" I can input all of my info and then the terminal logs me out so that I can't give further instructions (such as stop...rid...). I don't mind it running... but I would like to be able to stop it... rebooting doesn't help either.

OH YEAH... important note: I've used a Mac now for a total of a week. :D cut me a little slack if I sound like an idiot here :p

8. ArchiStudentG5 macrumors newbie

AH... success!

I removed EVERYTHING related to folding (haven't really started a single WU yet anyway) and rebooted. Re-installed DP_folding.dmg and read the readme more carefully... all is well now. :D

9. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

i'm glad it worked for you. :)

it is great that you are willing to try. most ppl at school (or elsewhere for that matter) have a very poor attitude and give up easily when working with macs.

10. ArchiStudentG5 macrumors newbie

Well I do need to use the power of this machine to its full potential! So far I've been helping people out in the design studio by rendering their FormZ and other 3D stuff for them. Instead of it taking a weekend... it's more like a few hours :D

I do have a question, though...

Is there a way to see the progress? The "work" command shows some info but I'm not sure what to make of it. Every so often the Terminal window will say "Finished a frame (1)" but when I enter the "work" command it still shows "0" frames completed and "400" remaining. What gives? I chose NOT to run the Gromac stuff (I say stuff because I haven't read up on the Tinker/Gromac stuff yet) which I read to be problematic on the G5 machines. So how long should a Tinker work unit take (give or take) on this G5/2.0 machine?

Appreciated!

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The frames remaining will not change until you end and restart the console application. The current frame is shown as the furthest in that list. (I think I set it for the last 5 frames.) It will also show the archive file so you can see the last date/time when it was updated. It requires some calculation, but it was not supposed to be an application of its own.

On the other hand, I have an application which monitors the progress of up to 2 processors and will run on most machines running Java 1.3.1 or greater. Click on my WWW button, if you'd like to try it.

As far as how fast the G5 is going to be. It's going to process Tinker work units faster than a G3 or G4. When it's going to finish a specific unit is something you people will have to tell us. Gromacs work units are still not working properly from what I've seen on the Stanford forums this week.

12. ArchiStudentG5 macrumors newbie

I'd like to try that applet... but your server is down :)

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's working now that the URL is correct. :rolleyes: :D