Removing handles from G4

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Shewhois, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Shewhois macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have finally replaced my husbands old desk (Read: KMart special) with a brand new desk that fits my needs much better. In my current situation, I have to put my G4 tower inside sort of a little alcove. However, the handles are not making things easy at the moment.

I would like to remove the handles, but I'm having a bit of trouble figuring it out. From what I understand, the tool came with the computer when I first got it, but apparently it seems to have flown away :) Can someone tell me if this is a computer tool readily available and can be bought at a computer hardware store, or am I just better off doing a more extensive search of my house?!

Thanks in advance for the help

2. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

It's a common tool that could be bought and pretty much *any* hardware store, not just a computer one.

3. Shewhois thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the speedy response, Lime. Am I to understand that it is called a "nifty tool?"

4. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

What you're looking for is called a "Hex Key". Here's a link to the home depot website that shows what you're looking for.

9 Piece Hex Key Set

5. Shewhois thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, got it taken care of. My glaring lack of understanding of all things computer hardware seems to be rearing its ugly head.

6. skymaXimus macrumors regular

Can you post a pic of the G4 case w/o the handles. I would like to see that.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if this alcove is only big enough to fit the g4 sans-handles, i would be concerned about airflow.

8. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

My bet is that it's a height thing more than a width thing, in which case it would be ok. (The heat may rise, but it's vented to the sides.)