Removing hiss in Final Cut Express

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by hugoreynolds, Mar 3, 2007.

1. hugoreynolds macrumors member

Jul 25, 2006
    Whats the easiest way to remove hiss from some audio in final cut express 2 ? I've never touched the audio editing features in it so please make it simple =)
  2. -DH macrumors 65816

Nov 28, 2006
    Nashville Tennessee
    If you have SoundTrack Pro, SoundSoap or any of several other available audio specific programs you can use their noise reduction tools to help reduce the hiss. Most of those tools work by sampling a small section of the unwanted noise by itself, then using that sample as a filter to cancel out the noise during the remainder of the clip.

You could try an EQ filter in FCE and play around with the frequencies until you find the right combination - but that might also affect the audio that you want to keep.

3. nello6 macrumors newbie

Jul 28, 2010
    I had a lot of hiss on an audio track because I'd recorded it at too low a volume, and then jacked it up to the max to compensate. I'm new to Final Cut Express so I was tentative about fiddling with filter levels myself. I looked around the 'Net and found this video on YouTube...
    About half-way through he offers a way to use two filters to cut down on hiss, and it worked well for me. The hiss was completely gone and the audio quality (of a man speaking) wasn't changed much. I used the 3 Band Equalizer filter to tweak the treble and bass a little but I think it needed that anyway.