Removing iBook HD

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by pkonig55, Mar 18, 2004.

1. pkonig55 macrumors newbie

A friend of mine spilled water on her iBook and hasn't been able to get it going since. Mac technicians told her its dead, but I wanted to try removing the HD and using a USB enclosure to try mounting the drive as a slave with the hope that some of the work can be recovered.

Personally I have little experience with Mac's, certainly none taking them apart. Can anyone give me tips on removing the drive? I've got the keyboard off but only the RAM slot is exposed, DVD drive sits to the upper right side, battery is on the lower right, so I'm assuming the hardrive is on the lower left side. Removing the main plastic cover peice is proving difficult.

Any help is appreciated!

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Here's how to do it on an iBook 500.

I upgraded the HD on my clamshell iBook about six months ago. It was a long, complicated process, but it worked. Unfortunately, I can't find the Web site I used to do it.

3. pkonig55 thread starter macrumors newbie

That link is great, it looks like she must have the same model (looks exactly the same to me). At least the reconstruction part isn't important, I just want to get the old one out. Thanks!