Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndurantz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
I had my ATV die on me and was planning to replace the hard drive to fix it. Once I got into the machine, I hooked up the HD to my computer and it looked just fine so my conclusion was it is NOT the hard drive. I bought a new ATV and am wanting to sell the old one, but am concerned about the purchaser getting my iTunes account info off the hard drive.

Does anyone know how to remove that info without wiping out the HD? I know a HD without the ATV information reders the ATV pretty much useless. Would love any input. Thanks!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I think the most the Apple TV's hard drive keeps is your media and your account user name. Not your password. If you still want to erase it I would suggest putting it in the new working ATV and restoring it.

ndurantz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
Good to know

I think the most the Apple TV's hard drive keeps is your media and your account user name. Not your password. If you still want to erase it I would suggest putting it in the new working ATV and restoring it.

That's a good idea. Never thought of that cause cracking into the things is such a pain. I guess it would probably take someone that knows what their doing to put all the info to use in a way that would result in identify theft or something. I appreciate the input!

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
If you've set your ATV to remember your password then the password is stored on the ATV's hard drive (in an encrypted form) and in theory if the new owner gets it working they would then be able to purchase from your account.

I know a HD without the ATV information reders the ATV pretty much useless.

Well an ATV that doesn't work also renders it pretty much useless:D If you do want to sell it with the hard drive and are worried about your account information then just change your iTunes password.

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)
Does anyone know how to remove that info without wiping out the HD? I know a HD without the ATV information reders the ATV pretty much useless. Would love any input. Thanks!

I BELIEVE that the Apple TV relies on separate firmware to boot up the hard drive. I have heard of people replacing their hard drives in Apple TV's, so I think erasing the hard drive, writing zeros all over it, and then putting it back in the ATV should work fine.

Have you posted this on Apple's forums? You might find your answer there.

I LOVE my Apple TV, although streaming Netflix would make it perfect, but I don't see that happening. That would hurt Apple's rental sales. :cool:

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I BELIEVE that the Apple TV relies on separate firmware to boot up the hard drive. I have heard of people replacing their hard drives in Apple TV's, so I think erasing the hard drive, writing zeros all over it, and then putting it back in the ATV should work fine.

No the ATV wont boot without an OS on the drive. Thats why when people replace there hard drives they have to take an image of the original to restore onto the new drive.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
I would think a Factory Restore and then shut down before putting anything in would do it. Basically Restore it then unplug it right after it boots back up, before you even pick your language.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I would think a Factory Restore and then shut down before putting anything in would do it. Basically Restore it then unplug it right after it boots back up, before you even pick your language.

That would work if the old Apple TV still worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.