Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrisx42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Hello, quick question. I have a JB Iphone 4. I would like to remove the JB on it and update it clean to iOS5. How can i do this without lossing my photos, notes etc.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Just hit update. Everything jailbroken will be gone and a clean install of iPhone OS 5 will be left. Contacts and notes won't be touched. Also, be sure to back-up in case the update goes sour (which it can given the high traffic to Apple's servers).

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
Just hit update. Everything jailbroken will be gone and a clean install of iPhone OS 5 will be left. Contacts and notes won't be touched. Also, be sure to back-up in case the update goes sour (which it can given the high traffic to Apple's servers).

This isn't entirely true. I'm trying to do a clean install since I have some residual "stuff" left over from crappy JB apps and such. Example, I had Gridlock on the phone so I could put apps anywhere I wanted. It advertised that it didn't use plank web shortcuts to accomplish this. Well at some point that app broke and it put 10 blank web shortcuts on the phone. I go through and delete them. After I turn the phone off and back on, they magically show back up! This still happens after I upgraded the phone to iOS5. I'm in here now looking at how to erase the phone and install iOS5 on it and get rid of this annoying crap.

Others who changed their carrier from AT&T to 'some name' also report the custom name still showing up and not AT&T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.