Removing languages and unneeded programmes

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by john_satc, Feb 14, 2005.

1. john_satc macrumors 6502

hey - new to mac so be patient with me please!
    ive read about people removing programmes and languages that originally come with osx panther when they first use their computers. is there any way i can remove these without having to reinstall everything? it took me days to download all my cds and other programmes so i really dont want to have to do it again.
    thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

For removing languages, several utilities exist, including DeLocalizer. I don't recommend using that one though, since it's inflexible and hasn't been tested on Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther".

Mac OS X doesn't really have or need uninstallers in the vast majority of cases. Usually, all you need to do to remove a program is trash the application file itself, any preference files in the Preferences folder, any support files in Application Support, and anything else in your Library the program may have left behind.

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I've used Delocalizer on 10.3.7 and no probs.

4. john1123 macrumors regular

john1123

i second that for 10.3.8 :)

5. deebster macrumors 6502

Macaroni will also do this, as well as ensure the cron scripts (daily, weekly and monthly maintenence routines your Mac runs in the early hours of the morning) are run should your Mac not be on overnight.

It's not free but does have a demo / trial period so you can see if you like using it.

6. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

There is also Monolingual, and works with 10.2 and 10.3. Though I prefer DeLocalizer.

http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

7. john_satc thread starter macrumors 6502

thank u all! i tried the first recomendation and it worked fine, but i didn't regain much space - around 700mb.