Removing Languages from ilife 06

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacDonaldsd, Jan 23, 2006.

1. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Just installed iLife 06 on my mac and it has took up 6GB. I wouldnt mind getting some of that back so i was wondering if anyone new how to remove the other languages as that will free up some space.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Use something like Monolingual. Note this will remove the languages you specify from the whole system, not just iLife '06.

3. giffut macrumors 6502

Move ...

... your mouse over each iLife application icon and control-klick it. Choose "Show package contents" and go to the folder "contents/resources". There you´ll find lot´s of foreign language folders. Just keep "english.lproj" (or the language you like the most) and trash the rest of those ".lproj" folders.

Actually doing this freed more than 700mb with keynote alone, as the language packages contained huge graphics template files.

By the way: Each update via Apple (and third parties) will bring all language files back and you´ll have to start it over again.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Thanks for this, I was wondering how to do this myself. The latest iApps from Apple seem to be much larger than their predecessors, and I don't like a lot of wasted space and bloatware - that's what I expect on my PC, but no to my Mac! ;) :D

5. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Actually it's not even that complicated.

All you need do is "Get Info" (or Apple - i) on each application, at the bottom of that window you will see a section called "Languages". Just click on the ones you don't want and hit the remove button.

Attached Files:

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Nice, that's even slicker - thanks for that! Had no idea you could actually remove languages in that manner, almost seems too simple! :)

7. MacDonaldsd thread starter macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd