removing loud noise spikes from mp3s

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by babucher, Feb 16, 2007.

1. babucher macrumors newbie

Greetings,

I've got some audio speech files that randomly have loud static spikes for about a second or less. Is there an easy way to either remove them, or to cap the volume on the entire mp3 to a good level?

Thanks,
    Brian

2. Blubbert macrumors 6502

You could try using MacMP3Gain. Its not perfect, by any means, but it should do what you need.

3. babucher thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply Bubbert. Unfortunately, though MacMP3gain looks like a cool program, the author said it wouldn't really be useful for fixing my particular problem. Ahh well. At least I found another neat tool!

Thanks

4. AussieSusan macrumors member

Try Audacity. You will need to import the MP3 file into it, but you can then edit it however you like (down to the individual sample if you really want).

Depending on what the source of the 'spike' is, you can delete a section, drop the overall 'size' of the samples in the section etc..

I believe there are some filters around that let you remove clicks and pops (typically for cleaning up vinyl recordings) but I've not tried anothing like this recently or with Audacity.

Suasn