Removing Noise and Clicks From Audio

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by benjaminpg, May 30, 2003.

1. benjaminpg macrumors regular

I have been recording old vinyl albums onto the computer through the use of an Onkyo MSE-U33. Unfortunately the quality of some of the LPs is pretty poor. I attribute this to the condition of the records, not the pre-amp or the audio processor.

I am trying to find a way to remove both clicks and backround noise/static. I have Peak DV, so I can edit out the individual clicks by just dropping the frames that they occur in. Not only is this tedious, but a section of audio is lost.

I would appreciate it if someone could recommend a free app or VST plugin that can remove preferably clicks and static. The repair clicks function in Peak looks pretty good, but unfortunately it is not included with the DV version.

Thanks,
    Benjamin

2. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Re: Removing Noise and Clicks From Audio

I've had good luck with the Waves Restoration-X plugins for Pro Tools. If you can boot OS 9 try downloading ProToolsFree and "finding" some plug-ins for it. There are also lots of hiss and noise removal plug available for Logic and Cubase. The Waves stuff is the best I've used though.

3. merges macrumors member

4. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Ray Gun has survived the test of time. It was one of the first (if not the first) program to have an "intuitive" algorithm for finding clicks and crackles. I have seen it in action and it works well.

I know this is a Mac forum, but if you’re a PC user, Sonic Foundry's Noise Reduction plugins are great. (The best way to get Mac users to reply is to mention WinTel solutions.;))