Removing Optical Drive from Macbook Pro 2009

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ashley0609, Dec 8, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I was just wandering if I could remove my MBP '09 optical drive? Or would I have to put something in it's place?

Cheers

2. macrumors 68000

gngan

Of cause you can remove the optical drive. In fact, you can remove the motherboard too but you never state why you would want to remove the optical drive.

3. macrumors 601

clyde2801

Well, you could use an optibay and make a fusion drive with the SSD and the HDD.

4. Ashley0609, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012

thread starter macrumors newbie

Planning on having it in an enclosure for my Mac Mini and GFs MBA. Then swapping out the HDD for a small SSD to give me a (negligibly) lighter laptop for just word processing bits. So is it OK to just leave a gap where the optical drive should be?

5. macrumors 68000

gngan

You won't feel much difference. I have a dual drive setup and when i remove the optical drive, it isn't that heavy. I think it should be alright to leave the gap.

6. macrumors 65816

Dadioh

Yes you can. I did this on 2 Macbooks that I use as media players and didn't need the DVD drives. The empty space doesn't affect anything. Just be prepared to remove the bottom if someone slides a DVD in there without knowing :)