Removing OS 9

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by ysp1, Dec 19, 2002.

1. ysp1 macrumors newbie

Hi...

I just purchased my first Mac, a powermac g4 (former XP user)...and so far im loving it. Is it possible, though, to somehow uninstall OS 9 from my system? I know that i could reinstall OSX by reformatting my HD etc, but is there an easier way? Any help would be appreciated...

thanks,

yp

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

just drag the Os 9 system folder to the trash. To Os X, OS 9 is just like any other file. But I would keep it there. i mean, you might sometime want to run something in classic, in which case you ened OS 9 there. It doesn't hurt anything so long as its not active, and is only taking up a bit of drive space (and if the few hundred megs it takes up is a concern, you need a larger drive). I don't relaly sue OS X much, but I think that if you do trash OS 9, you might want to check yoru settings for classic to make sure its not gonig to try to use a system folder you got rid of.

3. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Re: Removing OS 9

I too was considering removing os 9 from my hard drive a while ago. Sometimes I will find the application that I really need and there is no os x equivalent. It is at those times when I am thankful I kept it on. In my case it was a timeline program for school.

4. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I find keeping OS9 on my computer invaluable - I mean, I'm a pleb when it comes to the Terminal, and the baffling language that is Unix - so when I need to remove stubborn files from the trash, I do so by starting up with OS9, and then emptying it as normal. Voila!

I've partitioned my drive into 2 segments (20Gb drive, OSX=15GB, OS9=5GB), so that if I have a hard drive problem, I can always boot in either system by holding down the Option key on startup (it gives you 2 separate boot sector areas on your drive platen) - very handy, and has got me out of some serious trouble before by giving me time to repair the disk with Norton Utilities or Techtool...

Finally, if you're a game player, you'll probably find that some games work MUCH faster (or solely) in OS9. So don't throw it away just yet.

Imagine life, for example, without F/A-18 Hornet Korea Gold?!?
    :D