Removing OSX startup sound

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Temujin, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

2. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

The startup chime is independent of OS X I believe - it's set in the Open Firmware.

Mute the volume on your Mac before rebooting or shutting down will disable it.

Might be a way to turn it off permanently in NVRAM settings but probably not a good idea.

3. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    no,not removable it is the logic board saying it is working properly. It even works if there is bad ram, etc.

4. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

can you replace the start up sound?

5. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    not sure, it would take some programming, but i am sure it is possible some how.

6. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

OSX can control the boot sound. There is debate as to weather it is in the firmware or not.

Start Up Sound Preference Pane- This will add volume adjustment for the Startup Sound to the System Prefrences. You can mute it if you want.

People have attempted to change the Korg startup chime for years. (At least from OS9) It is really buried deep and is likely not just a discrete file, but rather part of a larger meta structure. It may not be compressed, as it comes up so quickly, and it just wouldn't make sense to have an audio decompression program just to unspool one sound. As far as I know it's still ROM based. You could get an old mac and look at the ROMS. If you understand how soundfiles are structured, you have a good chance of finding the elusive sound. If you think it is on the HD, I'd just grab a hex-editor and start scanning the disk, looking for tell tails.

7. seashellz macrumors 6502

Startup Sound Preference Pane has a checkbox marked "mute"
    Click this and you will not have to adjust your volume at all-loudest or off, you wont hear the startup chime (Which is said to be the sound of Jobs first 12-string guitar)

8. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Can't you just turn the sound off before you shut down? Then when you start up again later on, the "bong" won't play.

REMOVE THE BONG!? ARE YOU MAD!? :confused:

:p

9. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I think its built into the logic board and not any specific version fo the OS. SOME functionality comes from the logic board when no hard drive is connected, and this is part of it.

10. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

It's a Korg, here is the history of the chime. I think there is a video floating aroud with Jobs and Jim Reekes talking about the orign of the the chime.

11. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Try this.

Never used it but it's worth a try. Got good reviews.

I wouldn't do it personally... tells you your computer is fine. If you hit "Mute" before you restart / shutdown, it shouldn't chime either.

12. Temujin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Thanx for the answers guys.

Find it a bit weak that you can't remove/mute the chimes. With out muting before shutdown or by installing additional software that is.

I'll just go with the mute at shutdown option then.

13. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Use this:

http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/16425, its called Startup Sound Preference Pane.

There is no way to change the sound, but this preference pane allows you to reduce the volume or turn it off altogether.

14. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Three people recommeding this (and 2 posting links), should show you the prefrence for this over PSTT!!! (also noted above). The problem with PSTT, is that it only mutes the chime. To get the sound back, you have to run an uninstaller.

15. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Cool. Hey, I love the chime... just trying to be helpful for the person while checking versiontracker (also in my post qualified it by saying that I haven't used it...) - just giving them another option....

16. SnapperNZ macrumors newbie

If the chime was built into the hardware and not the OS, then turning the volume down wouldn't make any difference - it has to be in the OS/software.

17. Ploki macrumors 68000

but it was stated that it works without HDD.
    so... built into hardware, controlled by OS. ?

18. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

My bet is that it's firmware-controlled, but the volume parameter is stored in NVRAM, thus allowing the OS to control it by changing the stored value.

19. chowmein macrumors member

I use StartupSound to mute the bong. But, when I zapped the PRAM on my Mac the other day, it bonged again. Maybe it only works during a normal boot or something? :confused:

20. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Nope. The PRAM is where the startup sound volume setting is stored. :p