Removing Printer .package files?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pincho, May 1, 2006.

1. pincho macrumors regular

pincho

hey all, i installed a PowerPC binary of the Canon i905D printer driver on my MacBook Pro. however, i now realise i do not need it anymore, but it would not harm to leave the driver installed. Nothing is shown in the Applications folder, so i used Spoghtlight, and removed some packages that were shown. However, in the Activity Monitor, it shows these apps running (all PowerPC)

Photo Viewer
    NETserver
    USBserver
    LOGINserver

i think 3 of them came with the i905D printer driver package, and 1 from a Brother fax package. i do not need these printers/fax, and am very picky on what things are running :p Photo Viewer uses up a bit of ram too, but i don't want to remove files from the Library folder in case i screw something up. any ideas on removing these? thanks

also, ive clicked on photoviewer>inspect>Open Files and Ports, and some of those file directories seem pretty 'inside' the OS so i don't want to touch them

2. pincho thread starter macrumors regular

pincho

hahahah I know this sounds extreme, but im reinstalling OS X. Not only for this, but mainly because i want to customise myself a bit to the OS X installtion setup. Very nice compared to the Dos like Windows and Linux setups. Ive only had the macbook pro since thursday, a lot has passed since then :D :D all is backed up and if i miss something, meh, its only been 5 days :p

3. After G macrumors 68000

After G

You know, you can just kill the offending processes. :D

Edit: It is always a good idea to reinstall from scratch. Make sure you look at all the custom options. Installed by default are a lot of language packs and unnecessary printer drivers.

But to answer your question; removing the package is usually not necessary. You can just delete the driver no problem. If you want to get rid of the package, though, you can always just use Desinstaller to look at what the package has installed and then delete all of that + the package receipt.

4. pincho thread starter macrumors regular

pincho

yeah i did :D , they keep coming back after reboots though. I forgot to look at the custom options, is there a way to delete those files after OS X is installed?

5. pincho thread starter macrumors regular

pincho

awesome, thats probably what i would have needed to use to remove all contents. o well :p i guess ill leave the Language and Printer driver software on till Leopard. You never know when you need a printer, or in my case (cause i speak spanish) need to use the language packs :p

6. After G macrumors 68000

After G

You can delete the language files you don't need using Delocalizer or Monolingual. But make sure you uncheck the binary portion in Monolingual. It screwed up my system when I didn't do that. Also, make sure to leave English in.

You can delete printer drivers just by removing things in /Library/Printers.