removing printer stuff from dock

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by flat6, Nov 18, 2004.

1. flat6 macrumors regular

I've installed an HP PSC 2170 printer, and by its own will it put itself onto the dock, and loads up every time the computer starts. I've removed it from the dock again and again, but it naturally keeps popping up. I've also tried to find settings somewhere to tell it not to put itself onto the dock, but I can't find anything like this.

How do I get rid of the damned thing?

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

System Preferences > Accounts > Startup Items

Find the HP application and use the "-" button to remove it from the list.

3. flat6 thread starter macrumors regular

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

Is there any other "suspicious" listing from HP that may be doing the dirty deed? Or does it add itself in after you print something?

Are you the admin on the computer? Just make sure that there isn't an admin account that also has this app on the startup list.

5. flat6 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm the only account on the computer... and there's just one app - "HP Director (All-in-One) - that is on the listing, and loads up every time the computer starts, regardless of printing activity or lack thereof.

I really dislike inconsiderate software...

6. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

I have a PSC750, and the same thing happens to me! And the dang printer won't even work unless some "HP Communications" is set to run whenever the computer starts up... Makes me mad. :mad: Wish I would have bought a different printer. Or at least bought the same printer from a company who would release better software for Mac OS X... The scanning program that came with the driver download takes literally 5 minutes to scan a preview.

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

But it's not really breaking anything, right? It's just allowing you to print to the printer, and it's annoying that there's a piece of software running in the background?

If the software is required to print, then you may be hosed unless you buy a new printer. Seems a little odd to me, though. Or, perhaps, just inconsiderate, as you say.

8. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

I had the same problem and I deleted the damn director itself. There was another thread about same problem sometime back in which someone suggested an alternative way in which you don't have to delete the director. Can't remember it now.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Why don't you just check the hide box and then you don't see it, so it shouldn't bother you as much?