Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coopdig

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
Hey! I've recently been introduced to the Dvorak keyboard layout and, as someone who is beginning to feel a bit of pain when typing, am interested in trying it out.
So, I found a website whereon someone posted about removing and re-arranging the keys of their G3 and G4 powerbooks to fit the Dvorak layout, (http://www.geocities.com/rjpoling/MacOS/dvorak/dvorak.html). Neat idea... However, as a macbook owner, I was wondering: Has anyone here had any experience trying something like this on their macbook yet? Or, alternatively, does anyone simply have any idea if this should be possible?

I may just be bold and give it a try on a little used key... If I do, I'll be sure to post back with the results. In the meantime, however, I'll be waiting for your wise avice and opinions.

Thanks!

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
You will need to change your key bindings after you've done that I suppose. Otherwise you will end up with a completely unusable system each time you reinstall OSX :eek:

coopdig

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
Good point -- especially since I've been thinking I'd purchase leopard when it rolls out.

Not that I want to deviate too far from my original question--"Is it possible/recommendable to swap the keys on my macbook's keyboard?"--but how would I go about making that change? I assume that changing my key bindings is done somewhere other than the "international" pane in system preferences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.