removing scratches from g5 case

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by taeclee99, Apr 13, 2004.

1. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

Jun 4, 2002
    Anywhere but here
    I got my g5 back from getting it repaired. Unfortunately the dolly that I transported the tower in ended up scratching my case in several places. I guess I was a dummy to use a metal dolly. I wasn't thinking. Anyway, is there any easy way to buff these scratches out or am I pretty much out of luck. Anyone know of any polishes that can minimize them or maybe I can get some cool stickers?

thanks in advance
  2. TDT macrumors member

Apr 4, 2004
    University of Iowa - Iowa
    Personally I like this stuff called brasso. It's a type of compound used in brass and metal. I use it on my ipod once in awhile, and it works well.

If the scratches are deep, I'm afriad you will be out of luck.

Hope this helps
  3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    I would recommend NOT using Brasso to get rid of those scratches, unless you want more. It's very abrasive (not to mention smelly and nasty looking), any sort of buffing or polishing is going to ruin the finish by removing the layer of aluminum oxide that helps give it that finish. It'll most likely end up looking somewhat shiny with lots of swirl marks. Of course, you could always take all the hardware out from inside and re-anodize it yourself :D
    More info.