Removing something from the dock

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iMatt mini, Aug 19, 2005.

1. iMatt mini macrumors 6502

Say for example I download Camino and used it as my main browser, or downloaded Adium and used it to chat. Could I remove iChat or Safari from the dock, but still have it accessible? If so, how do I get to it without it being on the dock? :confused:

2. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Drag it out of the dock.

All applications (including iChat and Safari) will still be accessable at /Applications

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

drag the icon out of the dock... watch it vanish in a poof of smoke

applications are in the... uh... application folder, under user

4. iMatt mini thread starter macrumors 6502

I know how to get rid of it. And I don't have a Mac right now so I was just asking.
    No need to make it sound like it's so obvious. I just wanted to make sure I could still get to it. :p

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "under user". Applications reside in the Applications folder, which are not specific to each user. Some applications, considered to be utility programs, are in the Utility folder inside the Applications folder.

The Dock holds pointers to applications or other items ("aliases" or "shortcuts") so you are free to remove these items from the Dock without losing the originals. Adding something to the Dock is the same. Drag an item into the Dock and a pointer to it is added to the Dock. Drag it out and only the pointer disappears.