removing "standard" programs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by empezar, Dec 29, 2006.

1. empezar macrumors regular

empezar

I didn't install any of the ilife programs or anything else off of the os x cd2 (that came with my mp).

Still, there are a lot of programs I do not need, namely Chess, Dictionary, iCal, iChat, Image Capture, Mail, Safari, Sherlock and Stickies.

Will simply removing the .app files remove the programs? or are there other places where I need to clean up too?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

That's usually good enough. I did that on an iBook I have with only a 10 GB hard drive. The only thing I've noticed is that when I run system updates, I get non-functional versions of those apps (or at least the ones that get updated by the update) back in my Applications folder.

The apps you mention are pretty small and self-contained, so you don't really need to worry about digging for more stuff to delete. You can always do a Spotlight search for the app's name to track down the few stray things that may be left.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There are better ways to save space such as removing unnecessary printer drivers, iDVD themes and Garageband loops. These might be safer options than removing system apps. :)