Removing the iBook G4 Keyboard

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by plasticparadox, Dec 26, 2003.

1. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

I think my keyboard may be broken. I'm trying to install an AirMac card into my new 12" iBook G4, and to do that, I need to get under the keyboard. The keyboard won't come off. I'm looking through the manual (in Japanese :confused: ) but there's a diagram, and it looks like I just have to hold down the two tabs at either side of the iBook, and lift out the keyboard. It's not moving, and I don't want to damage anything further.

The keyboard works fine, but I'm wondering if Apple busted it when they preconfigured my memory upgrade. They would have been the only ones to go under the keyboard.

I'm a little pissed off because it seems the Apple support website is down, so I can't go into there.

Can someone tell me the proper way to get the keyboard off? Do I have to do anything with the 'Num Lock' light/screw?

TIA.

2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

In the light key next to numlock, there is a little plastic screw that you have to turn to unlock it.

3. plasticparadox thread starter macrumors 6502

4. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Turn it either way for half a rotation or until you are able to pull up the keyboard.

5. plasticparadox thread starter macrumors 6502

Still not budging. I'm on the phone with Apple tech support now.

6. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Re: Removing the iBook G4 Keyboard

You don't have to hold them down, use your fingernails on the top edge to pull them forward a little and the keyboard should unclip.

7. Mehmet macrumors member

sorry for such an ignorant question, but it seems to me like the ibook g4's are a lot like the original tibooks?

8. plasticparadox thread starter macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Removing the iBook G4 Keyboard

Yup, that's what I had meant. Sorry, I couldn't think of a better way to say that.