removing user - need to keep applications

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by onewave, Jul 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onewave macrumors newbie

Hi all

My cousin just purchased a new powerbook, and he gave me his old one. I want to delete his system account, but all of the apps (like office, photoshop, etc) are registered under his account. If I delete his account will it keep the apps, and I would still be able to use them?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Generally speaking, most applications store their registration data somewhere external to the individual user, so you don't have to re-enter the serial number for every user on the computer, so deleting the account won't affect them.

Why don't you just try it--create a new admin account, and see what works, and what doesn't. Anything that starts asking you for a serial on the new account must store the reg info in the user's Library, so go back into the other account, find any files belonging to that app, and transfer them to your account. Once everything launches ok from your account, just delete the old one and you're good to go. (And you can always leave the disk archive instead of doing an immediate delete, just in case you miss something.)

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Of course, keeping the apps without him giving you the discs would almost certainly violate the licenses of said apps.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.