Removing VPC 6.1 ?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by whiteangel, Sep 15, 2004.

1. whiteangel macrumors regular

I just install win XP on my VPC and I was wondering what i would have to do to remove VPC and win XP from my PB in future if I wish to.

Another question, does XP run too slowly on my 1.33GHz PB 15"? I was comtemplating if I should install win98 instead, but I'm not sure if all the new software run on win98 anymore, as I haven't used it for quite a few years.

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I haven't de-installed VPC but it looks like the saved virtual machine files are in a "virtual PC Lists' folder under your Docs folder. I presume you can just drag these to the trash once you've de-installed VPC.

I found WinXP was too slow to be usable even with all the unwanted services turned off, maybe because I only have 512Mb on my 1.33Ghz 12" PB. As a recent switcher I installed VPC to run a few favorite apps with Win98 and this runs at a vaguely acceptable speed, but I'm steadily finding substitutes for the Windows apps. The only one I really miss now is WinOrganizer, a truly awesome program and which doesn't run under VPC for some reason. Sadly they have no plans for a Mac version either.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

VPC is pretty simple to remove. First of all, trash the application itself, then go find your virtual hard disk file, which is located (by default, unless you changed it) in a folder called "Virtual PC List" (? not sure about the name, but I know it starts with "Virtual PC") in your Documents folder in your user folder. If you want to be thorough, you can delete the preferences file too, which can be found inside ~/Library/Preferences (where ~ represents your user folder). I don't know the name of the preferences file, since I no longer use VPC.

4. sgarringer macrumors regular

Try Windows NT 4 Workstation or Windows 2000. Those run at nearly the same speed as my 333MHz PC on my iBook G3 800, so I'd imagine on your G4 they'd kick serious ass.

5. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Thanks, I might just do that and see if WinOrganizer will work :)