Rename a hard drive in OSX??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by evilernie, Jun 14, 2005.

1. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

I replaced my hard drive and I would like to take my old drive and put it in another computer on the network, but I don't want to reformat it. I would like to change the name of the drive in that machine so there aren't two computers with the same name on the network. Is there an easy way to do this in OSX without screwing everything up, especially with classic? I tried just changing the hard drive name by highlighting the text and changing it, but then all my classic apps became broken and confused. :confused:

I really don't want to reload classic and OSX if I don't have to.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not sure what you mean by "broken and confused," but if the problem is broken paths then no matter what means you use to rename the drive, the result is going to be the same. At least that's what I think... ;)

3. evilernie thread starter macrumors 6502

evilernie

Yes broken paths is exactly what I mean, and that's the answer that I was afraid of. I can't think of a way to do it short of reformatting and reloading. Hopefully someone else can?

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....for one thing, the computer name and the hard drive name are two different things. The computer's name is set in os x in the Sharing pref pane...oh yeah!

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't think it would even help. To be honest, I can't imagine why you're having this problem. I've changed hard drive names many times and never seen this effect. Specifically, what problems are you having with which applications?