Renaming imported songs

Discussion in 'iPod' started by serpent, Aug 29, 2006.

1. serpent macrumors member

Jul 29, 2006
    After one on my HDD's got inadvertantly erased, I did a data recovery and all I was able to save was music in my itunes folder. But all songs inside folders F00 to F49 all have prefixes like GFHE.m4a or DUWO.mp3, etc. If I import back into iTunes all tags are still there and everything looks and plays fine. But I would like my songs to have their real names back!
    Does anyone know of any program that'll read the ID3 data and rename all the files with that data?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    If you have iTunes look after your song files then they should be renamed already. If not, then try Consolidate Library from the Advanced menu. :)
  3. serpent thread starter macrumors member

Jul 29, 2006
    thats not the problem. Since my HDD was erased only backup I had was the ipod itself. So by going into the iTunes folder of the ipod I was able to copy the songs back onto my new HDD. Now what I have for all music is Jibberish for a tag .m4a or .mp3 as the examples in my first post. If I import all into iTunes they will show up there with the proper tagging: name, artist, album, etc., but file still ends up in itunes folder as MPQW.m4a not "Stairway to Heaven.m4a" as I originally kept songs in a generic music folder without letting iTunes move or copy songs into iTunes folder on HDD. I think since iTunes ver 6 all songs were renamed on ipod and iTunes folder with this 4-letter codes.
    I know that I can re-import back into itunes then show file and manually rename everything, but for a few thousand songs I'm hoping that someone knows of a way to automate this.

4. decksnap macrumors 68040

Apr 11, 2003
    If you relinquish control to iTunes for a bit and check 'keep iTunes music organized' and 'copy to iTunes music folder when importing', then import all your music to iTunes, it will rename all the files based on the track info. If, after the fact, you want to go back to your old method (Why do people do this??? shrug) then you can delete everything from your iTunes library, uncheck the settings, move the music elsewhere, and reimport it.

Unless your read/write privelages for the files got borked?