renaming photos in iphoto

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by njsolomon, Sep 3, 2005.

1. njsolomon macrumors newbie

I am looking for help renaming photos from iphoto, and keeping them renamed when I email the photos.
    The photo name from my camera is usually a string of numbers/letters which i rename as something more recognizable. In iphoto it shows the renamed title, but when I send via email it sends the original files with the string of number/letters. This is very annoying! :mad:

Any help on how to keep the new title? Do I have to renamed in the library? I noticed that if I rename the photo befor loading into iphoto the new name stays - but this seems inefficient and I would prefer to operate 100% within iphoto.

Thanks for your help in advance!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's a pretty crappy work around, but you could export them to your desktop and email from there. When you export, you get the choice of using a variety of different names for the file including the original name (numbers/letters etc.) and the name you gave it in iPhoto.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

iPhoto is the worst iApp by far, and yeah, Mad Jew's method is the one workaround.

iPhoto needs some changes. Badly.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If you email the pictures from within iPhoto (selecting the images and clicking on email), you get a dialogue box asking you what size you want to send them - below that drop down menu there's an option to mail them with titles or comments. If you check titles, then iPhoto will mail with the correct titles tho still the wrong file names.

My suggestion here is to name them before they go into iPhoto. I do this using an Automator action through Image Capture. Image Capture will find your camera etc that's been plugged in and you select the images that you want to download. Mine downloads and then runs an Automator application which renames the images, prompting me what text I want to insert '1st birthday' etc and then automatically imports those images into iPhoto where I do any other editing/renaming etc that I want to do.

5. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I agree. The lack of renaming capabilities alone is pretty much a dealbreaker. There has to be a better way or more options for how iPhoto images are stored in the finder also.

6. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Is there a Mac OS X Media-library alternative?

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Do you need to know anything about Automator to do that? The only part of Automator I know, is that there's a funny little robot guy for an icon. :eek: Could you elaborate a bit more for a newbie like me?

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    OK... here goes - it will likely end up very long but don't be alarmed - Automator is much easier to use that people think! Open up Automator and have a look - you'll see 2 columns , a workspace and a box on the bottom left.

The first column lists all the applications that Automator has workflows for, the second shows all the actions. If you select one application, the second column will only show the actions that work with it. The first column is in alphabetical order, the action one shows what Automator thinks is most relevant - so once you start building a workflow, it 'guesses' what action you need next.

The workspace is where you drag actions to and you can rearrange them there. They drop in as a numbered list which can be reordered - you'll see a little arrow dropping in from and to the preceding/next item in the workflow. This tells you what kind of files it expects to get to perform the workflow and what kind of files it outputs. If you get the wrong ones, it will highlight it so you know the workflow won't work.

Finally, the box on the bottom left gives details of what the currently selected action does so.

To run an application that would rename images and then import them into iPhoto, you'd do the following. (This assumes that you've already got them on your harddrive somewhere, or that you're using Image Capture to download them)

Choose Finder in the Apps column and then drag 'Get Specified Finder items' to the workspace. Don't worry about specifying them here - you'll be handling selecting files outside Automator.

If you're looking at photo images, they're probably already named sequentially so you can move straight to renaming. But if your staging folder has images from multiple cameras, you might want to add a 'Sort Finder Items' - just drag below the current actions in the workspace. You'd probably want to do it based on creation date.

Now drag the 'Rename Finder Items' to the workspace. Automator will ask you if you really want to change these original files or if you want to create a copy stage. This choice is up to you; I tend not to bother since I don't delete my images automatically from the memory card and I run this from a 'staging' folder. If you choose yes, it will add a 'copy' action which defaults to the Desktop (you can change it)

You've got a few options to play with in Renaming. First off, click on the 'Options' tag at the bottom of the action and check 'Show Actions as Run'. This means that when this application is run, it will throw up a dialogue box when it reaches this stage and ask you how you want to rename things.

The easiest way to do it is to choose 'Make Sequential' and then select 'add number to new name' - again you'll specify the new name when you run the app. You also choose whether you want spaces or dashes between the name and the number.

Now that your files have been renamed, you want to import them into iPhoto. You might want to do a 'Save As' on your current workflow though since as it stands, it's currently useful for renaming anything. If you save it as a 'Finder plug in', you'll be able to access it by rightclicking in Finder.

To import into iPhoto, click on iPhoto in the Apps column and drop 'Import into iPhoto' at the bottom of your workflow. Again you can choose whether to drop them into the Main Library or whether to drop them into a new album. And whether you want to delete them or not from their original location (or copied location). Again, if you choose 'options and show when run' you can make a decision on this each time.

OK... now you're ready to save it. If you save it as a Finder plug-in, you'll be able to highlight any images in Finder and right click to run it. If you save it as an application, you can add it into Image Capture's processes and have it automatically run whenever you import images.

Within Image Capture with a camera attached, you'll see a drop down box telling Image Capture what to do after download. By choosing Other from the box and navigating to your application, whenever you download images from Image Capture, it will ask you to rename the images and will import them into iPhoto with the correct file names.

If you always download all your images using Image Capture, you could add (instead of specified files) the 'Download images' tag so that the entire application can be run when the camera is plugged in. I don't do this since I prefer to use Image Capture as an initial quality filter to get rid of any really bad images. It also means that if there are two events on my camera, I can select and download event 1 with one name and event 2 with another.

9. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

iPhoto's inability to rename files still annoys me.
    Last update they included my other pet hate - that you couldn't have folders within folders... which used to annoy me greatly.

File management is something that I don't believe they have considered much at all! I am also keen to clean up my image files... as when I upgraded iPhoto I now have two iPhoto Library directories... one within the other.

Also I believe that when you edit a photo it keeps the original photo...

When I get a bit of time - i am very keen to clean up my directories.. but don't want to muck up iPhoto.

I have found the easiest way when adding individual photos to rename before dragging them into iPhoto.
    When I do a large import of photos from my camera i add comments in them... and then either export to desktop (before sending) or use the built in option (like mentioned above).

10. Keelphoto macrumors newbie

How to rename photos in iphoto

To do this you use the "batch rename" feature.

After clicking Batch rename

on the left pull down menu choose set "title"

and in the right menu to: text. and type in the new name.

iphoto will update the file name.

11. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Nope. That's just the titles, not the real file names.

12. NewMacGirl macrumors regular

Iphoto is good but does have some annoying features.

I don't understand how it stores photos. It asks you to name the 'roll' but then its difficult to see where the roll you named goes.

I love the way it just starts downloading though but just how it stores the photos is a complete mystery.

I also burnt a disk to get copies of some photos- I created a new folder and edited some shots (about 100 in all) but when I got to the photo shop and put in my disk I had original photos, modified photos and another folder. I had lots of duplicate photos (some how I had over 300 shots becausde of the duplicates) so it was a nightmare to sort them out using the limited software at the photo shop.

Yes iphoto needs some work to amke it easier to use.

13. Nevrsadie macrumors regular

Nevrsadie

Here is a link to the workflow in automator. I use it all the time, but agree that it needs to be built in to iPhoto.

14. nightsky macrumors member

Discontinue Use of iPhoto

As soon as I can organize my 110 photos, edit, and get a CD Burned I will no longer download photographs into iPhoto. I am looking for an alternative that can hopefully replace iPhoto completely so I can un-install this waste of hdd space. Appreciate all the support at this forum.

15. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Are all of you former Windows users? Trying to manage your photos the hard way -- thwe windows way? iPhoto is the easiest thing to use to manage your photos. Just download your photos into iPhoto, rename the "roll" to something meaningful, and name your photos from within iPhoto. You can use the "batch change" from the "photo" item in the menu bar. You can use folders and albums to organize your photos, even smart albums to save time in the future. iPhoto saves them exactly the way you tell it to! You have the control! Just use the app to control and you will soon find how simple it is to do photo work.

When you want to upload photos to websites, to photo finishing sites, etc. just use the export command from iPhoto, put on your desktop and upload from there. You won't get the thumbs, originals, modifieds -- just the ones you choose from within the app. All info (name, date, etc) will remain with the photo. No need to worry about "file names" -- this is wasted worry! The file names don't need to change -- the titles can change at your whim!

For emailing, use the "email" function in iPhoto. Simple as that!

When you start mucking about in the finder, you will create havoc -- corrupted photos, lost photos, etc. Best to just forget that file exists (just like iTunes) and do all your photo work from within the app. It really is simple -- the mac way, not the hard Windows way.

Stop working so hard to micromanage your photos and let the pros take over. Relax and enjoy your photos, don't work at it!

16. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

The file names really are a sticking point despite what you say. When I email an image out of iPhoto, the name is always DM293874.jpg or something, or when I drag it out to the desktop.

In addition, I can't use spotlight appropriately on these files without being able to name them. In fact, iPhoto appears to strip out spotlights comments on import.

17. nightsky macrumors member

Skybolt if its so easy write a short iPhoto Sticky...

Step by step tutorial and show us newbies how great iPhoto is. I spent a whole day figuring out and grouping 125 photographs (no editing). As for organizing rolls I just named them 1,2,3... Never have found how to view each roll separately or explore each roll. Somehow all three rolls appeared as one huge proof or slide show?
    Wound up grouping fotos using iPhoto Preferences to add key words and then tagging one foto at a time.
    I selected all for ie. Dad and Kids group exported them to burn folder and burned the group. Then placed the disk in XP to import into photo shop elements, what I got was 6 originals and 9 thumb nails... What did I do wrong?
    If you write a quick start step by step with links to more in depth instructions it would be helpful. I print stuff in my windows pc and go into mac then follow instructions.

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'd just like to point out that this thread is nearly two years old and that some of the advice will not necessarily apply to the latest version(s) of iPhoto. As with iTunes though, iPhoto works best when the files are untouched in Finder by the user. :)

19. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

newbie??? :confused: :confused: ur a demi-goddess!! :rolleyes:

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The Demi-God(dess) title merely shows that US$25 has been contributed to the site either by or on behalf of the member. It doesn't necessarily mean the member is an expert in any particular field. :)

21. skybolt macrumors 6502a

That's odd -- when I email a photo from within the app, the name I gave it in iPhoto goes with it (select to sent title and comments in the email dialog box). Works perfectly. Also, spotlight finds the photo by name as well -- it found the same photo in my iPhoto and in my sent mail. What version of iPhoto are you using?

22. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Not just that... but um, that post was made in 2005. (Which, yes, mad jew pointed out just a few short posts above.)

It can often be of benefit to pay attention to such details. :p

23. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I was speaking generally too. I'm not saying you're not an expert at things™. :p

24. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I'm using iPhoto 6. I just did another test to make sure I'm not crazy. When you email it with titles on, the title shows up in the email, but the name of the image being sent remains JG987987.jpg. A subsequent spotlight search reveals nothing other than the email message generated from the image.

25. skybolt macrumors 6502a

That's because the name of the image/file has not been changed (in the finder). Why does that matter? When the recipient gets the photo, they will know what the title is. What else do they need to know?