Renaming Songs

Discussion in 'iPod' started by pavvento, Jun 12, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

Jun 3, 2007
    I have a lot of songs, that for whatever reason appear as the band name, track number, then song title all as the song title (ex: Dave Matthews Band 06 Sattelite). This is really annoying and I can't see half of my song titles on the ipod. I renamed the songs in Windows (on my old computer) before transferring them over, I renamed them in the music folder on the Mac, but they still show up like this in itunes and the ipod. Any ideas?
  2. Guest

Jan 30, 2006
    Rename the song within iTunes, not in the Finder. There is a program named iEatBrainz that gets all the info for the songs, but I don't trust it a lot, it would make mistakes sometimes.

So try renaming them within iTunes.
  3. macrumors regular

Mar 9, 2006
    Try this iTunes script. "This script will rename the selected tracks in iTunes with their filenames (minus the extension)."
  4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 3, 2007
    thanks for the replies, one more question. I've renamed all of the songs in iTunes. When I go to file and 'add to library', will all of the files be renamed back to what they were and all of my work lost? Thanks.
  5. macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    No. When you rename files in iTunes it changes the ID3 tag's which are built into the mp3 files. So if you send them to a friend, get a new computer and reupload them to iTunes, they'll always say the same thing they do now.