Renaming URL links in Mail 1.3 for Panther

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by roland.g, Mar 2, 2006.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Can anyone tell me how to code a hyperlink in Mail 1.3 for Panther so I can rename it as I want to. I tried using the way we do it in posts (url=http://www.apple.com)Apple(/url) (yes I changed all the ['s & ]'s to ('s & )'s to keep it from coding it ) to do Apple but it doesn't work. Of course I am talking about longer links to articles and such where I want to reduce it to the word article or whatever.

Thanks

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Just had a quick look (I don't use Mail) and I don't think you can do it. Mail doesn't send HTML mail, it uses Rich Text Format, so you can't 'code' a link as you'd like.

Unless I'm missing something...anyone? :confused:

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

In Mail 2.0.x you can mark a word (or phrase) and use Edit -> Add Hyperlink... and type/paste the URL (the http://www.whatever...), making the word/phrase a link... I think this option was already there in Mail 1, but I'm not sure... I have a vague hunch that you may be in Rich Text mode for it to work in Mail 1, in Mail 2 it works also in Plain Text messages...

4. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

It's Mail 1.3.11 in Rich Text mode and there is no option in the Edit menu to Add Hyperlink.
    I just didn't know if there was any way to code it.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Hmmm... not even an "Edit Link..." when you right/ctrl-click a marked word...? Dissapointing... I was almost certain there was a way to do this back in Mail 1, too... :eek:

Attached Files:

6. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Nope. We are talking Mail 1. It is so basic in a lot of ways. I figured if anything it would be possible with a little extra work, but maybe like edesignuk said, it's a Rich Text Format thing, maybe not - you said it is possible in 2.0 through menu options.