Render Times

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by h0e0h, May 24, 2005.

1. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

Ok, i've done a quick search of the forums and weeded through 3 pages and didn't find what i was looking for. Here is basically what i'm wanting to know.

I'm fixin to redesign my bedroom/office so i'm considering adding a new computer. I'm having trouble choosing between PowerMac and iMac. I currently own a powerbook g4 rev. c 1.33 ghz and 512mb ram with a second external monitor. The reason i don't like it is because i do a good bit of vid stuff, and the render times are SO SLOW incomparison to my buddies PM G4. My question now is what is going to be best for me? I'm leaning towards the iMac because of the space and not having to buy a second external monitor.

2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

It just depends how much video edinting you want to do. If you serious about it, and you have them oney to spend, get the Power Mac. If you don't have the money or don't care about the speed of rendering get the iMac. The iMac will still be good and it will get the job done, but the Power Mac will just be better.

3. Macabron macrumors member

Macabron

Get the power Mac!
    I have a 1.8 DP and just bought an iMac 1.8, not only render times cut in more than half, in FCP the realtime effects, with the DP a couple of them are not realtime , in the iMac a only couple of them are realtime. HD trailers like serenity in 1080p play like it was a regular trailer; in the iMac I have to close everything and run it fullscreen and it still stutters a bit.
    Get any of the DP power Macs and your computer will run rings around your buddies G4. Both of mine have 64megs vid card, and 1GB of ram.

If video is your thing, get a power Mac! Besides being able to almost have a terabyte of internal storage rules!

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

The PM G5 kicks serious butt in encoding and rendering. You will not be happy with anything less. Clichéd but true.

5. punkbass25 macrumors member

what ever you do i would advise against getting the power mac G5 1.8Ghz (not dual) as the imac is faster, has a better graphics card, comes with a monitor, and its cheaper.

so if your thinking about the single 1.8 PM just get an iMac instead

6. macorama macrumors regular

The main reason your powerbook is going to be slower than your buddy's PM is the hard drive. Seeing as your laptop has Firewire 800, the first thing you should try is getting a Firewire 800 external drive, that should make a big difference, and keep you on your powerbook for a while. If you still upgrade later, the FW drive will still be useful for the video stuff.

7. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

I would HIGHLY recommend the PowerMac given that you're into Video Editing. I have a dual 2.5 and the time I save with rendering on this machine can not be overstated.

Good luck in your decision.