Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
The market will buy what consumers decide to buy, not what Apple "tells" (as millions of non-Apple consumers prove).
Millions of customers listen to Apple and buy their products. And Apple also make products people didn't even know they wanted or needed before Apple releases them and puts the Apple spin on them.

What I said still holds true. Not for all the customers, but for a large number of them.

Apple did need and always will need to adapt to consumer demands since their vision is not always correct or the best: e.g. the original iPhone didn't have an App Store by design, since Jobs did believe that web applications and HTML5 would have been enough. They did adapt to consumer's desires and the end result was a huge success.
People want the best. And Apple delivers the best. So in that way Apple is catering to consumer demands.

People on the other hand in general have no idea of what the best will be in a few years time. No one in 2005 would have predicted that Apple would release a phone that would eventually become one of the best in the world.

Also we have no idea if Jobs words were him saying web applications and HTML5 would always be enough. Or if web applications and HTML5 would be enough for the current time. Apple has at times said XXX is enough but later have improved on XXX or added more features. I believe it is was more an "at this current point in time" statement.

I don't think it was Apple cowering in to the public's demands. To me it was more like staggering the features and updates due to the tech available at the time and to allow some tech left over for future releases so people had reasons to buy the 3G and 3Gs and 4 etc etc.

And how do you figure out how the puck will be in the near future? Trying to understand current trends' driving forces and trying to extrapolate them is a big part of that.
Of cause. You are right there. The catch is some people think that is the only thing that matters. And it's not. It's only one part of the puzzle. And important piece though. I know you realise this, but some others do not.

Taking the best parts from the current trends and leaving all the bad parts on the floor ad you move forward is the key. I don't think phablets are 100% bad. They are not. As a phone replacement phablets are bad. But in the iPad Mini space there is a lot that can be learnt from phablets. The iPad Mini is just a larger sized phablet.

Learning from the current phablet craze and putting what you've learnt into the right areas is key. Just making a phablet replacement for a phone is dumb. It just shows that it's developers don't understand the current market and it's needs.
(I said needs and not wants for a reason there)

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
If you can come up with a way to make the antenna's work... I mean something the designers paid 6 figure salaries couldn't come up with, then let them know so you can be happier with the design.

You don't think that can be in integrated into a single style design?.... Ok.

Yep.

Then don't buy it, your non problem solved.

Ummmm have you not seen all their phones from 4 on?

Im digging the new design but am waiting for the 5"..... Tired of tiny phones.

you really think a big name phone manufacturer hasn't figured out how to make this yet?(the are probably testing next years phone already) All depends on when they want to release it and keep milking the same old design. Id like something more fresh but it will still do.

Freakstyles

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
Is it just me

the issues that i have with all of these rumored Renders is that the LED flash is different from the iphone 5s, it doesn't appear to be a dual LED. Do we think Apple is dumping the dual LED flash already?

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
the issues that i have with all of these rumored Renders is that the LED flash is different from the iphone 5s, it doesn't appear to be a dual LED. Do we think Apple is dumping the dual LED flash already?

OMG!!! Why do nobody can imagine a round dual flash??
In every thread about the iPhone 6 people keep asking this dumb question... and if you read this whole thread, it was already mentioned that there are possibilities how to do so ..

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
Also we have no idea if Jobs words were him saying web applications and HTML5 would always be enough. Or if web applications and HTML5 would be enough for the current time. Apple has at times said XXX is enough but later have improved on XXX or added more features. I believe it is was more an "at this current point in time" statement.

I don't think it was Apple cowering in to the public's demands. To me it was more like staggering the features and updates due to the tech available at the time and to allow some tech left over for future releases so people had reasons to buy the 3G and 3Gs and 4 etc etc.

Job's initial stance against native third-party apps are well documented, e.g. here.

About "technical availability" I think it's actually backwards: it was too soon back then for HTML apps. Today thanks to HTML5's popularity Job's vision could be more successful and indeed many "native" apps today are ultimately "wrapped" HTML apps.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Job's initial stance against native third-party apps are well documented, e.g. here.

About "technical availability" I think it's actually backwards: it was too soon back then for HTML apps. Today thanks to HTML5's popularity Job's vision could be more successful and indeed many "native" apps today are ultimately "wrapped" HTML apps.

Dead set at the time. But times change. Nothing is set in concrete.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
Dead set at the time. But times change. Nothing is set in concrete.

Yes, that's exactly my point: Apple is very good in anticipating customer's needs and desires, but not infallible. In the native third-party apps example they had an idea originally but realized that it was not as successful as they planned. They analysed consumers' trends (including the interest in jailbreaking and the first unofficial "app installers") and realized that the driving force behind them was something they could better support. The result is a great success story.

Apple until now was "dead set" in "one-hand" usage and smaller screen format too: it might be that they're right, or that they should revise their original plan, that they can better support large screen consumers' needs leading to another great success story.

DonutHands

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Los Angeles

yes, why use 2 led units when you can use a single unit that can produce multiple colors.

Freakstyles

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
Yes but

yes, why use 2 led units when you can use a single unit that can produce multiple colors.

but wasn't the point of the Dual LED to give a better balance of color and light. While you can produce multiple colors from one LED Flash, how will you get the same balance of light?

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
but wasn't the point of the Dual LED to give a better balance of color and light. While you can produce multiple colors from one LED Flash, how will you get the same balance of light?

Because in the end the flash is still one color. The 5s dual flash combines both LEDs for the best matching flash and so will the flash of the iPhone 6.

chazbcn

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2013
Give me a break.

People said the same thing about the iPhone 5 before it came out and now they don't complain about it's aesthetics.

I can only speak for me. This is why I make it clear in my posts it's my opinion.
I never complained about the iP 4-4s / 5-5s series. I've had both, the 4 and the 5 and love them.
I won't change my mind on this solution for antenna cuts on the back of the purported iPhone 6. I find them to be un-elegant and aesthetically unpleasant.
As I've said, this is my first impression, based on mock ups. When Apple release the real thing, and I can see and feel it, then I,ll be able to make a decision. In the meanwhile it's all speculation based on dummies based on unverified schematics, so we can go wild on criticism.

PS: (sorry for my english, it's not my mother language).

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Yes, that's exactly my point: Apple is very good in anticipating customer's needs and desires, but not infallible. In the native third-party apps example they had an idea originally but realized that it was not as successful as they planned. They analysed consumers' trends (including the interest in jailbreaking and the first unofficial "app installers") and realized that the driving force behind them was something they could better support. The result is a great success story.

Apple until now was "dead set" in "one-hand" usage and smaller screen format too: it might be that they're right, or that they should revise their original plan, that they can better support large screen consumers' needs leading to another great success story.

I agree with almost all of what you said. But not on the part that Apple phablets will be a success story. That from a moral point of view is questionable. I think Apple should never make a phablet phone. They should stick with their phablet iPad Mini. And use the phablet trend information they have learned to make better iPad Minis.

A phablet iPhone 6 could be a commercial success. But it'll never be a moral and ethical success in my eyes.

This is why I don't know if I will get an iPhone 6.
If it is a phone I'll probably get one.
If it is a phablet I'll be forced to stay with my iPhone 1.
This is one reason on many I am hoping the iPhone 6 is phone sized and not phablet sized.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
Could we get a standard definition of "phablet"? I've seen people refer to anything above a 4" screen up to an iPad be a "phablet", that's a pretty insane range.

kdarling

macrumors P6

I respectably disagree.

We've been doing HTML based apps continuously since the mid 1990s. HTML5 was not needed.

Trouble is, there's still plenty of times you need a wrapper to do things that only a native app can do.

(Microsoft HTAs were one solution to that problem, but nobody else adopted them. They let you write an app totally in HTML and Javascript, and still access almost every system object. Very powerful stuff.)

Also we have no idea if Jobs words were him saying web applications and HTML5 would always be enough.

As bsolar noted in a news link, Jobs gave in to his executives who kept telling him that third party apps would be a great thing to have.

That was a saving grace about Jobs' stubbornness and technical ignorance. If people pushed back enough, he would eventually listen and change his mind. It's been said that that's how he often made decisions about things he had little knowledge of... by first blasting an idea and then seeing how hard someone defended it.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
I respectably disagree.

We've been doing HTML based apps continuously since the mid 1990s. HTML5 was not needed.

I didn't mean that they were unfeasible, only that they were not popular and this was in part due to the limits of HTML-based apps back then, which were not comparable to what is available today: that's why plugins/applets were almost ubiquitous in the more "sophisticated" cases.

Today we have much more powerful web standards, much better compatibility between browsers, much more sophisticated javascript performance optimisations... just take Flash: during the first years of the iPhone lack of Flash support was considered a drawback. Today most don't consider it an issue at all.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Apple offer higher levels of storage for you to choose from. You also have access to wifi networks which can access cloud services while travelling.

It seems we do not travel the same way. In EU, Africa, Asia where I am on a regular basis it is quite common in some areas not to cross any public wifi for 24 hours...

soupisgoodfood4

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2014
Wouldnt two LED's behind a round aperture mean that one or both are off center? When off center, the light beams would be an asymmetric projection. I am not sure if that is desirable.

Maybe. But the effect is probably so slight that it's not noticeable. After all, it's not supposed to be like a laser or a spotlight, but a diffused light. Also, I think you can get LED units that have dual elements in the same reflector and housing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.