Rendezvous iTunes question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Heart Break Kid, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

ok, my goal is to decrease the time it takes to buffer streams from shared libraries on other computers.

All computers in my home are on a wireless network. My desktop is a DELL and has a version of iTunes on it. I want to share the library with my Powerbook..but I find when I do, the number of times that it takes to buffer the stream ruins the listening experience.

So, I what I wanted to do was, since they both rest on the same desk...let them access the internet via the wireless connection, but access each otehrs libraries via an ethernet cable plugged into thier respective ports.

Is this possible? and if so, is thier anything else to do with regards to the setup other then plugging the ethernet cable in?

2. haiggy macrumors 65816

I don't know if ethernet makes it go any faster... but what I am wondering is why would you want wireless internet from the Dell while plugged into it with an ethernet cable? That way when you're not at the desk you have no music... I'd say you're too impatient :p lol

3. michaelwarren89 macrumors newbie

I find it intriguing that your computers have to buffer the stream repeatedly across your network. Surely there is an ample amount of bandwidth, even if you're using 802.11b at 11mb/s. It should only take a second or two to completely copy (ie buffer) an entire song, so I'm thinking there is something wrong with your network to significantly reduce bandwith, or something wrong with either of your computers to significantly delay the data.

I don't have that much experience of the proper memory/data management but it will either copy the entire file then play it, or play it as it streams from the source, packet by packet.

I don't have that much experience with wireless either but on a 10mb ethernet connection in my home, the songs on my imac play across the network to my PC with no delay or buffering, its as responsive as if they were on my PC's local HD. I'd expect that to be the case with most connections, even with significant traffic.

4. asif3 macrumors member

Hi,

I have this problem to - and I'm running airport extremes!

Basically I have a dell in my office, which is plugged into the hub etc so it's using the net through plain old ethernet. If I want to listen to the music on my iBook using the dell It doesnt work - i.e. buffering, rebuffering, etc..so I have to bring the iBook downstairs and just plug it in to ethernet - works perfectly. Also, the portable wont loose the internet connection when you unplug the ethernet, it will just start using it over wireless.

HTH
    Asif

5. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

yah you might be right. I may be a little to impatient.. :rolleyes:

but thier must be something I could do to speed up the stream

I'll look into fiddling with my network settings

6. TDT macrumors member

I have a feeling, note this is untested, that the noise that the signal has to endure will cause some problems when it comes to wireless. And yes, I know that 802.11b is rated at 11mbps - but lets look at this through a TCP example (since we are on the internet topic):

TCP connection ----> internet, some packets are lost ---> destination receives 1/2 the packets, TCP resends the necessary stuff to compensate.

I bet this is what's causing the problem here, because if you're a few rooms over you may have 1/2 signal strength, and 10% noise. Some bits are lost, the connection resends. As far as video, audio, they deal with UDP connections last time I checked - so this even more increases the problem. 10% noise ~ 10% packets lost, that's significant, and the program doesn't compensate for this all the time....thus a rebuffer.

Another thing that I'm curious about is the fact that there are more components for a packet to get 'encoded' for air travel, then 'decoded' for the receiver. This would add to the latency, and if the program or protocols aren't really 'set up' for this sort of problem ahead of time, some problems can develop.

I should stress again I haven't tested this, but I have a feeling the first problem is most likely the problem caused here.

Hopefully that helps answer a few questions

7. nargot macrumors regular

i've had no problems streaming music from my imac through the router and 20 meters away via APX. It is possible that the buffer levels in the preferences need to be set to LARGE.

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yep, something has to be wrong with your network. i had a wireless network with an airport extreme intertwined with a wired network. consists of a wired g5, wired pc and a wireless powerbook and they all work flawlessly.

iJon

9. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i have a 802.11b network, and music starts playing instantly between my iMac and the HP downstairs...
    maybe it's because you have a dell?? or the hardrive/cpu/etc. might be busy and it might be choking on one end?

reality

10. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

yah

i guess thats what i get for using a dell - lol

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well i know something that can really slow down a a wireless network is getting the wan and lan ports mixed up on the airport base station. only use the wan port if your cable modem of whatever is doing to it. if you already have a wired network from another source then you would connect it via lan port.

iJon