Rendezvous not connecting over airport

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nbs2, Mar 10, 2005.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I was wondering if anybody else is having the same problem.

A friend and I are trying to use rendezvous in the same room, but cannot find each other. It works if we both connect to the wired network that we have available, but not if one of us unplugs. He has a Rev A and I have a Rev B Al-PB.

Any thoughts?

2. jim. macrumors 6502

Are you using encryption? WPA and WEP seem to wreak havoc on file sharing. When I have my net encrypted at home I can see other wireless shares, but can't access them. I don't know why this is the case, but it is consistant.

Jim

3. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

I don't think so. I thought for rendezvous, you didn't need to set anything up - it jsut worked with other machines with airport. Is there something that I'm missing? Also, I'm not filesharing - jsut trying to chat back and forth.

4. jim. macrumors 6502

From what I have read about rendezvous (zeroconf) is that it is an all-in-one protocol that should just work. File sharing, chat, iTunes sharing, etc. all utilize the rendezvous protocol. So are you trying to chat on your internal network? Rendezvous is mainly just for local network. If you are trying to chat with someone on the internet it won't work that way.

If you are doing it on local network do you have a firewall running on either of the computers? If you're not encrypting your network, this would be the other culprit I can think of. I don't own an airport station, so I don't know what the defaults are. Someone else will have to enlighten me on that.

Jim

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I own a airport extreme base station and if the firewalls are off on both machines and you have internet(or signal) then it should work fine.

6. jim. macrumors 6502

trainguy, do you use encryption? I can never get any form of file sharing to work on an encrypted network with my router unless one of the computers is plugged in to the hub. It's frustrating since my wife and I send files back and forth and she uses my itunes library, so we leave our wireless unencrypted.

Jim

7. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

Actually, we are trying something even lower level than running on a local network. A friend and I at school were trying to use Rendezvous to chat - more as a test than anything else. It works when we are both plugged into the network. But, even though we are in the same room, we can't get Rendezvous to work when we are not plugged in - even though our Airport cards are turned on.

The best way to explain it is if I was in the middle of nowhere with two PB/iB, could I get them to Rendezvous with each other?

So, yeah, the local network is facilitating what we have right now, but we can't break it down to a lesser level. I guess what I'm wondering is if we have to be on the same local network to see each other.

8. jim. macrumors 6502

Hmm, Rendezvous is a network protocol, so I would think that you would need a network in place for it to work. This would require a router by definition. You could work around this by enabling internet sharing with your PB and having your roommate connect. Then rendezvous should work even if you are unplugged from the ethernet.

Jim

9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Yes i have 128 WEP encryption running. Try updating your firmware to the lastest if it is not already.

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    could u make a personal computer network, with ur powerbook hosting it; thats how i did it when i needed to transfer a file to a friend during lecture