Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2001
This is just my thought and not a rumor....

All this talk about Rendezvous is sure leading to the idea of a portable apple device that is not a laptop. I don't know what this device is. It could be a PDA, Newton, Tablet, or something crazy.

This device would be portable and would grab info from your main mac using Rendezvous. You could get Music, Photos, etc to this device. I'm thinking a version of iPod that can play music, view photos, play MPEG & Mov files, and have a lite version of AppleWorks.

Apple is up to something and there is a device in the works that will complete the "Digital Hub". If you look at the current hub spectrum, there is space for something else.

Who knows...

If you have any thoughts on this, lets hear them.

-- MacBoy

rjrufo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2002
Boston
I agree with you. I think there is something they are working on. I'm anxious to see what it is.

daniel77

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2002
seattle, wa
i totally agree with everything you said although you omitted one crucial detail. only .0001 percent of the mac user population will be able to afford this new device.:D

mikewestlake

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2002
The Conejo
Imagine being able to rip the display from your Powerbook and take it anywhere in the home and access everything, your other Macs, iPod, printer, DVDs, CDs, cellphone, camera, and the web. When it's not in your lap, it sits up in it's charger like a picture frame displaying pictures or video.

But I'm usually dead wrong about this kinda stuf........

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by mikewestlake
Imagine being able to rip the display from your Powerbook and take it anywhere in the home and access everything, your other Macs, iPod, printer, DVDs, CDs, cellphone, camera, and the web. When it's not in your lap, it sits up in it's charger like a picture frame displaying pictures or video.

You mean this?

hro_mark_left.jpg

irmongoose

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Originally posted by redAPPLE
i do not know how far the range is for synchronizing stuff (with rendezvous).

that would be more interesting.
Rendezvous is not a hardware technology. It is a software level networking technology. The "range" is limited by the hardware. The only slight gotcha with this is that two devices must be on the same subnet to talk using rendezvous.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
The range is the same as for AirPort if you're using AirPort. I don't know if Rendezvous works over Bluetooth or not, but the range there would be much less than with AirPort.

People also said that only .00001 percent of Mac users would buy an iPod when it first came out too. Look at how well that has done.

Gus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.