Renovation

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by lucs, May 20, 2002.

1. lucs macrumors member

It seems like Apple is doing a complete renovation in its line of products, both professional and consumer.

The new iMac, the 800mhz Tibook, the Xserve and now the new ibooks.....it has been a tasty first quarter :)

Does that mean that Apple would now be "forced" to do a complete revision of the powermacs? At least a case change would be good, since the cushion-like shape of the powermacs has remained the same for pretty much the last 2 or 3 years, right?

I believe Apple will really dedicate mwny to the powermacs and maybe some software announcements like QT6 or Jaguar. Also, its been quite a while since the last version of the iMovie...

its gonna be awesome and rock

2. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

yeah im hoping for those dual 1.4s and either a two button mouse relased with Jaguar or a new line of HD LCD monitors. if nto maybe at least we will see the 15" go away and a 19" will take it's place

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

It's definitely amazing that we're only in May and we've already seen EVERY product speed bumped/revamped this year...

This definitely bodes well for big announcements later this year, since otherwise Apple would have had to sit on these new products just to have something to talk about at MWNY.

I can hardly wait!:D

4. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

BIG!

Apple must have something else up their sleeve. I mean, if they didn't, they would have spaced these releases out over the year!

It would have gone something like this...

MWSF: new iMac
    MWT: iPod
    Developer: Jaguar Preview
    MWNY: Updated PowerMacs/iBooks
    Sometime in October- X Serve

But instead, this all happend in about 5 months!

5. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Guys, this is what I am still hearing...

G4's with a new case.

1.0, 1.2 and dual 1.4's.
    60, 80, and 100 gig HD's.
    256, 256, and 512 megs DDR 266 memory
    266 mhz bus
    GeForce Ti's and Radeons.
    Gigabit
    Gigawire
    2 firewire rear
    2USB Rear
    2 keyboard
    1 front, and i firewire front
    Apple pro speakers

The will ship with X.2 unless something crazy happens.

6. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Hmm. Any speculation on the look of the case? Is Apple moving to an Xserve type design. Metal, streamlined, squared-edges. Here's something I saw on SpyMac (obviously a fan's design, but I could see this).

Attached Files:

7. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Expect?

I would expect something of that color, but not that design.

I hate spymac. All they did there was take the hard drive slots on the server, cut em out, and stack em up. Then they took the Apple part and put it on top. They also cut out the power switch and stuff. Just sh*tty photoshop.

8. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

OK, I'll agree with you on that one. But (I know, some people just tense up when they read the dreaded S-word in a post) just try to imagine a cube a little bigger than the G4 cube, with all those features.

A little computer company named Next had a cubed CPU once. I think I might see Apple doing something like that, but in a brushed metal enclosure. Like the Ti and the Xserve.

BTW - Gigawire? I've heard the name before, but still unsure as to what it is...

9. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Basically firewire 2. 800 mbs per sec. I have not heard details on the case, other than there will be a new one. Man, I cannot wait till July.....

10. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

NO!! I really don't believe that Gigawire is Firewire 2!!

The patent states that Gigawire is some sort of communication technology, NOT firewire 2. Look it up.

-Pete

11. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Firewire can be used as Communication Technology (Firewire Boot Disk & Firewire Networking.)

I hope we don't see new cases I really like the PowerMac G4 case I think it is probably the best machine design ever, although I would like more PCI slots.

Ensign

12. iGav macrumors G3

I do hope that we see new case designs, but only when the G5 is released, new chip, new look.....

I'd like the new cases to maybe include the detailing that is on the Xserve, the buttons look like machined metal, alot like the power up switch on the TiBook...... with laser etched details......

I love the look of the X serve though...... so clean and minimal......... I hope the new case though is constructed out of metal....... and have the same level of detail as the TiBook and Xserve!!

13. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

It is a really well designed case, what with the easy access to internals, carrying handles... but apple have had over 3 years now to improve upon the "el-capitan". The Qag tweaked some aspects of the case, giving it a cleaner look, and is good. But, perfection can never be achieved, and you be sure that whatever comes next, will be better.

What i'm wondering though is whether the rumoured 6 PCI slots will all be free? Apple have been incorporating things like firewire, usb, etc into the mobo for some time now, and offering fewer PCI slots that most wintel PC's. Does this increase in slots mean they'll offer the connectivity as PCI cards? I sure hope not.

14. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Ensign nailed it on the head. Firewire can be used as a communication device. Some people are calling the new tech Gigawire, others are saying Firewire2. Whatever it is called. 800MPS Firewire is that better?